nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44334
View in linear mode

Subject: "Upgrade to D50 lens question" Previous topic | Next topic
wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011Wed 20-Jun-12 06:47 AM
120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Upgrade to D50 lens question"

UK

Hi

My wife has a D50 with the 18-55 kit lens and also a Tamron 55-200mm. She has had this for some years now and wants to upgrade. She isn't sure whether to go for the D90 or the D5100.

The latter is more modern and has more resolution of course, but I'm not sure if the lenses I mention would AF properly on a D5100. Does anyone know?

Any other advice on the general upgrade question would also be much appreciated.

Thanks

Wooster

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Upgrade to D50 lens question
Scotty Silver Member
20th Jun 2012
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
20th Jun 2012
wooster
20th Jun 2012
Anscojohn Silver Member
21st Jun 2012
wooster
21st Jun 2012
Anscojohn Silver Member
21st Jun 2012
wooster
21st Jun 2012

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Wed 20-Jun-12 04:08 PM
4864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Upgrade to D50 lens question"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

why does she want to upgrade? What is lacking in the D50 for her? Identify what that is and buy the best body you can afford that provides it. If it is just a case of wanting a new camera that is a different story.

The old adage is - if you want to invest, invest in glass until the body lets you down, then upgrade the body...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 20-Jun-12 04:42 PM
29354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Upgrade to D50 lens question"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, UK

If your wife's 18-55mm lens is a Nikkor, then it will definitely autofocus normally on either D90 or D5100 (or and other Nikon DSLR).

I imagine the Tamron is a few years old, so it's unlikely to have its own AF motor - only more recently has Tamron been making such lenses. If I'm right, it would not autofocus on a D5100, but would on a D90.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011Wed 20-Jun-12 06:00 PM
120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Upgrade to D50 lens question"
In response to Reply # 2

UK

Thanks for the replies folks. I suppose a large part of it is she wants a new camera but she also wants more resolution. She will have access to my lenses so the resolution increase should be noticeable when used with these.

She has now grabbed a D90, new and at a bargain price of £449! Sounds good to me.

Wooster

Anscojohn Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2009Thu 21-Jun-12 02:43 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Upgrade to D50 lens question"
In response to Reply # 3

US

What lenses give noticeably greater resolution than the kit lenses that came with my D50? What am I missing? My 8x10 prints look awfully sharp to me, and I compared to the Leica film camera I shoot.

wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011Thu 21-Jun-12 05:12 PM
#5. "RE: Upgrade to D50 lens question"
In response to Reply # 4

UK

Has cheap tamron. Unlikely to perform as well as better Nikon. Probable fine for 10 x 12 though

Anscojohn Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2009Thu 21-Jun-12 06:12 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Upgrade to D50 lens question"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Ahh, so you are asking about upgrdes from the Tamron; not the kit lens that came with the body. I'm just wondering if it be worthwhile thinking about upgrading to a ''pro"-Nikon lens compared to the kit lenses. I have the 28-80 and a 70-300 kit lenses. They seem o.k.

wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011Thu 21-Jun-12 10:50 PM
#7. "RE: Upgrade to D50 lens question"
In response to Reply # 6

UK

I was really wondering if the Tamron would work with the D5100 but I know now that it wont. Therefore the most sensible would be to the D90.

I'm sure the Tamron is fine for smaller prints but what I meant by referring to resolution was that if she was going to stick with the Tamron and that was all she had in that focal length it would indeed be more sensible to upgrade the lens first.

As she has access to better glass then she will be able to take advantage of the better resolution in the D90 from the D50

Wooster

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44334 Previous topic | Next topic