Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44329
View in linear mode

Subject: "D60 landscape lens" Previous topic | Next topic
BillinBoston Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Mar 2012Sun 17-Jun-12 03:09 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D60 landscape lens"

Hyde Park, MA, US

Hi All,

I currently use a D60, and have a Nikkor 18-55. 55-200, 300 F4, and TC 1.4, all AF-S. Ever since buying the 300 a few months ago, I've done nothing but birds and wildlife, I've been so happy with the glass on the 300.

Next month, my daughter and I are touring middle-America from Carolina to Kansas, with a few points further south. I'm hoping to do some good general landscape photography: hills, lakes, thunder-heads, farm buildings, etc.

My guess is that I will not be as happy shooting the above with my current zoom lenses, as I have been shooting birds with my prime.

Question #1: Is the quality of the glass on the 18-55 about the same as on the 55-200?

Question #2: Do you agree that I am unlikely to get professional-looking photos from my 18-55 and 55-200?

Question #3: If you were going to buy ONE prime AF-S Nikon lens for general landscape use (and you already had a TC 1.4), which would it be?

Many thanks,
Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D60 landscape lens
aolander Silver Member
18th Jun 2012
BillinBoston Silver Member
25th Jun 2012
MEMcD Moderator
19th Jun 2012
25th Jun 2012
MEMcD Moderator
25th Jun 2012
26th Jun 2012
SabreFlyr Silver Member
25th Jul 2012
SabreFlyr Silver Member
25th Jul 2012

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 18-Jun-12 12:46 PM
3053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D60 landscape lens"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 18-Jun-12 12:49 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

1) I don't have these lenses, but it is my understanding that both of them are quite good for "kit" lenses.

2) Both of these lenses are capable of producing "professional-looking" images. Are you?

3) If you are referring to a wide angle lens for "general landscape use", there aren't any AF-S primes that are very wide on a DX camera. The new 28mm f/1.8 is a "wide normal". The 24mm f/1.4 (expensive!) will only get you to the equivalent of 36mm on DX.

AF-S TCs aren't made (and won't fit) to use on most lenses; primarily for telephotos.

I would use the lenses you have unless you want a wider zoom. In that case get a 10-24mm, 12-24mm, or maybe a 16-85mm (and leave the 18-55mm at home).

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

BillinBoston Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Mar 2012Mon 25-Jun-12 03:26 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D60 landscape lens"
In response to Reply # 1

Hyde Park, MA, US

Hi Alan,

Many thanks for your reply. I'll give my current lenses another round, and put the 10-24 on my wish list.

Bill

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 19-Jun-12 04:58 AM
25003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D60 landscape lens"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Bill,

>Question #1: Is the quality of the glass on the 18-55 about
>the same as on the 55-200?

Yes!

>Question #2: Do you agree that I am unlikely to get
>professional-looking photos from my 18-55 and 55-200?

No!
Even the kit lenses are optically excellent. While the Pro zooms and Primes are better the difference is smaller than most think.

>Question #3: If you were going to buy ONE prime AF-S Nikon
>lens for general landscape use (and you already had a TC 1.4),
>which would it be?

When I think of a landscape lens, I usually think wide angle which are not designed to be used with TC's including the TC-14E II. Without regard for budget, for an AF-S prime, it would be between the 24mm f/1.4G AF-S, 28mm f/1.8G AF-S, and 35mm f/1.4G AF-S.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

BillinBoston Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Mar 2012Mon 25-Jun-12 03:35 AM
#4. "RE: D60 landscape lens"
In response to Reply # 2

Hyde Park, MA, US

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to stay with my current lenses for now, and perhaps in the future, pick up a non-prime 10-24.

I own a circular polarizer (Tiffen), and plan to use it on a lot of my outdoor landscape shots this summer. It's been so long since I've used it, what are the rules of thumb as to when to, and when not to, use it? Is my Tiffen good enough to use with the Nikkor 18-55 and 55-200, or should I be looking at another brand?

Thanks,
Bill

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 25-Jun-12 04:43 PM
25003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D60 landscape lens"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Bill,

Use a polarizer to eliminate the reflections on non-metallic surfaces (water, glass, etc..).
A polarizer will also increase contrast and the intensify colors.

Tiffen makes several grades of filters.
The cheap ones are not multi-coated that can increase the probabiliy of flare and ghosting and often add a color cast to the image.
Some models may also cause vignetting when used at wider angles which you might want to test on your lens.
Polarizers will also reduce the amount of light passing through the lens by about 1 1/3rd to 2+ stops. This will allow you to use a slower shutter speed than would be possible without the filter.
You can find much more information in the Filters forum.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

BillinBoston Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Mar 2012Tue 26-Jun-12 11:51 AM
#6. "RE: D60 landscape lens"
In response to Reply # 5

Hyde Park, MA, US

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the reply. I'll go to the filters forum, and try out my CP on wider angles.

My most likely use of the CP in the near future will be to increase contrast (clouds especially). On subjects that I really like, and with which I have plenty of time to shoot, I'll go with and without the CP to cover all my bases.

Bill

SabreFlyr Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jul 2009Wed 25-Jul-12 06:06 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D60 landscape lens"
In response to Reply # 6

Marion, IN, US

Bear in mind that using the CP on a wide angle shot may cause a gradation in the color of the sky from one side to the next. The CP is most effective at 90 degrees to the sun. In a wide angle shot, the angle with the sun shifts significantly across the field of view. Therefore, the effectiveness of the CP changes. You may have one side a nice, deep shade of blue and the other side a noticeably paler blue. I was reminded of this recently when I had a day at Lake Tahoe. The CP was beautifully effective in reducing the reflections on the surface of the lake and made the rocks beneath the surface visible. However, some shots had a very noticeable shift in the shade of the sky from one side to the other.

Another interesting phenomenon was the reflections of clouds on the surface of the lake. They were very visible but not just a simple selection; it was more like a beam across the surface of the lake, like you might get from the sun or the moon.

That being said, I soon thereafter bought the lens that I wish I would have had with me on the trip: the Tokina 11-16 DX AT-X Pro. That would have made some nice sharp landscape shots for me (that is, if my lack of talent would permit!).

Ray

SabreFlyr Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jul 2009Wed 25-Jul-12 06:08 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D60 landscape lens"
In response to Reply # 7

Marion, IN, US

I should note that AF does not work with this lens (Tokina 11-16) on the D60 but that's not a real problem in such a wide lens.

Ray

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44329 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.