Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44287
View in linear mode

Subject: "Dust on the inside of my viewfinder" Previous topic | Next topic
AnnaMadeItProd Registered since 24th May 2012Thu 24-May-12 12:58 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Dust on the inside of my viewfinder"

US

Hello,
I took my Nikon D50 to a local camera shop to get professionally cleaned several months ago and it came back to me with several splotches of dust on the inside of the viewfinder. The guy a the camera shop told me he couldn't get it out, but the dust was not there before. I'm not taking my camera back to that camera shop as it was not a good experience and I really don't want to have to pay the money to send it off someplace else. Does anyone have any suggestions on a way that I could possibly safely clean the inside of the eyepiece myself? I know for a fact it's on the inside of the eyepiece vs on the mirror/lens/sensor because none of my images show dust particles.

Thank you anyone for any suggestions!
~Anna

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 24-May-12 04:57 AM
25017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Dust on the inside of my viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Anna,

Welcome to Nikonians!
If the dust is on the mirror box side of the viewfinder screen you might be able to clean it with a Giottos Rocket Blower.
Just make sure that you don't touch the mirror or any part of the
mirror box or finder screen with the Rocket Blower.

If the dust is above the finder screen things get more complex.
You will have to carefully remove the finder screen without touching the mirror and use the Rocket Blower to dislodge the dust particles, then reinstall the screen. Unless you know what you are doing, I wouldn't recommend removing the finder screen.
Good luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

AnnaMadeItProd Registered since 24th May 2012Thu 24-May-12 12:13 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Dust on the inside of my viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you Marty! I'm afraid my problem is indeed above the finder screen as I've already tried removing the dust with the rocket blower on the mirror box side with no luck. Maybe I can search around and see if there are any other camera shops around here that will take a look at it other than the one I already went to.

Anna

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Thu 24-May-12 01:38 PM
3057 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Dust on the inside of my viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Not to say that the camera shop didn't get the dust on the focusing screen, but dust is a common problem. You will probably get dust on it again even without having anything done to the camera. Some older film cameras had focusing screens that were easily removed, but even cleaning those was sometimes a pain because every time I cleaned the screen and replaced it, I'd find a new speck of dust that got on the screen during the process. A little dust on the screen is annoying, but it doesn't harm anything.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ArthurNikonF Registered since 10th Oct 2011Fri 15-Jun-12 04:36 PM
404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Dust on the inside of my viewfinder"
In response to Reply # 3

Worcester, US

I got dust in the viewfinder of my D40 like mad. My dealer, because it was under extended warranty, and within 3 days, simply replaced the camera.

My theory is that the abount of plastic used in manufacturing this camera contributed towards the flakings of dust.

-A

Please read my blog (Nikon, Hasselblad, AND Polaroid), at www.arthurpolaroid.wordpress.com/ Nikon D300, D40, F Photomic Ftn, FE-2, F3HP, N80, F2S

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44287 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.