Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44255
View in linear mode

Subject: "Dust on sensor...." Previous topic | Next topic
Paul94583 Registered since 09th Dec 2008Mon 07-May-12 01:15 AM
251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Dust on sensor...."

Chandler, US

I've owned my D50 since 2007, taken pretty good care of it.

In the past 4 months I've noticed ALOT more dust spots on my images and an increase in dirt on the sensor. I usually end up cleaning the sensor and mirror with pec pads/solution.

I do a fair amount of shooting outside, and never really had this problem with contamination in the past.

Anybody else have this issue?

Paul

"I'd rather try and fail, than fail to try."

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Dust on sensor....
RodW
07th May 2012
CharlieChan
08th May 2012
RodW
08th May 2012
CharlieChan
08th May 2012
MEMcD Moderator
07th May 2012
Paul94583
07th May 2012
igga
13th May 2012
JosephK Silver Member
14th May 2012
Paul94583
19th May 2012
JosephK Silver Member
19th May 2012
ArthurNikonF
25th May 2012

RodW Registered since 25th Mar 2012Mon 07-May-12 09:09 AM
116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Dust on sensor...."
In response to Reply # 0

AU

I just bought a sensor clean kit to clean my D40 in the last week. It was the first clean and the camera has done about 10000 shots. It really was quite bad. I put it down to buying a few more lenses in the last 12 months so I am changing lenses a lot more. Also a 4 week caravan trip into our Aussie outback last year did not help as red dust gets everywhere.

I am not sure if that helps you though!

I think you probably have a build up of dust floating around in the body so maybe you need to vacuum it out. This dust is falling back onto the sensor.The kit I bought had a little vacuum cleaner that came with it for this purpose.

Rod W
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

CharlieChan Registered since 24th Apr 2012Tue 08-May-12 05:30 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Dust on sensor...."
In response to Reply # 1

US

What's the name of your cleaning kit? can it be obtained on ebay or only in camera stores?

RodW Registered since 25th Mar 2012Tue 08-May-12 08:50 AM
116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Dust on sensor...."
In response to Reply # 4

AU

>What's the name of your cleaning kit? can it be obtained on
>ebay or only in camera stores?

This one, bought in a camera store

http://delkin.com/i-5829868-digitalduster-dslr-camera-sensor-cleaning-kit.html

Rod W
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

CharlieChan Registered since 24th Apr 2012Tue 08-May-12 10:42 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Dust on sensor...."
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks! will take a look!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 07-May-12 01:59 PM
26112 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Dust on sensor...."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Paul,

Have you been changing lenses more often or using your 70-300mm or other zoom lenses? Zoom lenses pump more air in and out. The environment you were recently shooting in could have been dustier than you thought.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Paul94583 Registered since 09th Dec 2008Mon 07-May-12 11:09 PM
251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Dust on sensor...."
In response to Reply # 2

Chandler, US

>Hi Paul,
>
>Have you been changing lenses more often or using your
>70-300mm or other zoom lenses? Zoom lenses pump more air in
>and out. The environment you were recently shooting in could
>have been dustier than you thought.
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!
>
>

I only have one lens on the body, a Sigma 18-125mm. It does not seem to produce any dust on my D200 though, so the lens might not be the issue.

I make a point to NOT swap lenses in the field, or at all for that matter.

The vacuum does seem like a good idea, since there might be some dust trapped in the body.

Paul

igga Registered since 13th May 2012Sun 13-May-12 07:15 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Dust on sensor...."
In response to Reply # 3

US

I've noticed that dust with older zoom lenses it much more of a problem than with any other lenses that I attach. I suspect that its because as the lens gets older the seals get worse and gaps get bigger.
I also wonder if the friction inside of the lenses is causing dust...

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 14-May-12 12:54 AM
4493 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Dust on sensor...."
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Dust on the sensor/filter is a fact of life for DSLRs. You can try to minimize it, but some will eventually get there.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Paul94583 Registered since 09th Dec 2008Sat 19-May-12 09:01 PM
#9. "RE: Dust on sensor...."
In response to Reply # 8

Chandler, US

I've been considering using a body with weather sealing for outdoor shooting, like the D200/300. Problem is, these are much heavier bodies and it be quite annoying to have one around your neck for 8+ hours.

Paul

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 19-May-12 11:55 PM
4493 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Dust on sensor...."
In response to Reply # 9

Seattle, WA, US

And they still collect dust. My D200 has needed cleaning much more than my D70S.

The weight is not bad if you have a good strap, for example
http://www.tamrac.com/g_camerastraps.htm#N-27

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

ArthurNikonF Registered since 10th Oct 2011Fri 25-May-12 04:09 PM
404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Dust on sensor...."
In response to Reply # 10

Worcester, US

Should really only be an issue, and noticeable, if you are stopping the lens down. Of course, it stands to reason on a slower, variable aperture zoom, that it may become more noticeable.

I learned to stop worrying about D-SLR dust, and just accept it for what it is- a nuisance that will always be there, and one not worth fretting over.

-A

Please read my blog (Nikon, Hasselblad, AND Polaroid), at www.arthurpolaroid.wordpress.com/ Nikon D300, D40, F Photomic Ftn, FE-2, F3HP, N80, F2S

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44255 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.