nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44219
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikkor 24-85mm 2.8-4.0 sluggish autofocus?" Previous topic | Next topic
CharlieChan Registered since 24th Apr 2012Thu 26-Apr-12 06:22 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikkor 24-85mm 2.8-4.0 sluggish autofocus?"
Thu 26-Apr-12 06:33 PM by CharlieChan

US

Hi everyone,

my lens Nikkor 24-85mm F2.8-4.0 seems to have a sluggish autofocus, especially for far range between infinity and 7ft. The AF is fast if swinging from far to near and vice versa (e.g. when I hold the hand before it and take the hand away in the video) but quite hesitant if focus on different targets at the similar distance. Could you tell by looking at the video below whether it's sluggish with this particular lens or it's symptomatic for the model

http://www.youtube.com/embed/PWfNvUamTNU

Sometimes it has even problem to focus but oscillates between 7 ft and infinity for a while on the same target, in which case I have to swing the camera away then back to get it focused; light condition was OK, not dim lit. The focus issue with slugginess and oscillating causes of course to miss fast action e.g in animal photography, they don't wait for you most of the time

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikkor 24-85mm 2.8-4.0 sluggish autofocus?
CharlieChan
26th Apr 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
26th Apr 2012
CharlieChan
26th Apr 2012
27th Apr 2012
CharlieChan
27th Apr 2012
RodW
27th Apr 2012
CharlieChan
27th Apr 2012
RodW
28th Apr 2012
CharlieChan
02nd May 2012
28th Apr 2012
CharlieChan
02nd May 2012
02nd May 2012

CharlieChan Registered since 24th Apr 2012Thu 26-Apr-12 07:01 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikkor 24-85mm 2.8-4.0 sluggish autofocus?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I use the lens on a D50 and just checked the list of compatible lenses, which does not contain the Nikkor 24-85mm F2.8-4.0. Could that be the reason?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 26-Apr-12 09:38 PM
26974 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikkor 24-85mm 2.8-4.0 sluggish autofocus?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi Charlie,

The AF 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF is fully compatible with your D50.
What ambient lighting conditions are you shooting in when the problem occurs?
Are you using a good AF target with enough contrast?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

CharlieChan Registered since 24th Apr 2012Thu 26-Apr-12 10:13 PM
#3. "RE: Nikkor 24-85mm 2.8-4.0 sluggish autofocus?"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 26-Apr-12 10:33 PM by CharlieChan

US

the ambient light was good, although indoor but near big windows and sufficient sunlight, the same light condition as seen in the video, which was taken this noon today.

Thanks!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 27-Apr-12 01:56 AM
26974 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikkor 24-85mm 2.8-4.0 sluggish autofocus?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

What about the AF target?
If the AF target doesn't have enough contrast the AF system will have difficulty locking focus.

Best Regards,
Marty

CharlieChan Registered since 24th Apr 2012Fri 27-Apr-12 06:16 PM
#5. "RE: Nikkor 24-85mm 2.8-4.0 sluggish autofocus?"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 27-Apr-12 06:31 PM by CharlieChan

US

I took the lens outdoor this morning under bright sunlight, the targets are various objects in the gardens such as chairs, trees, flowers. The slugginess is less but still not as fast as I expect from such an expensive lens. As mentioned AF is satisfying if targeting objects of big difference of distances but sluggish for targets in same range, or even for the same target when half-pressing the shutter button again, or more exact I had the camera on the tripod aiming at a chair 20 feet away, every time I half-press the shutter button, the AF on the lens tries to focus again in slow motion although the camera is not moved, the aiming not changed.

thanks!

Edit: of course there is the focus lock to prevent the AF to re-focus.

RodW Registered since 25th Mar 2012Fri 27-Apr-12 10:06 PM
116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikkor 24-85mm 2.8-4.0 sluggish autofocus?"
In response to Reply # 5

AU

Try a different mode. I borrowed a D3100 recently and it was really slow focussing but once I changed it to P, it became much snappier like I was accustomed to on my D40

CharlieChan Registered since 24th Apr 2012Fri 27-Apr-12 11:15 PM
#7. "RE: Nikkor 24-85mm 2.8-4.0 sluggish autofocus?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi RodW, was it with the same lens model?

RodW Registered since 25th Mar 2012Sat 28-Apr-12 01:24 AM
116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikkor 24-85mm 2.8-4.0 sluggish autofocus?"
In response to Reply # 7

AU

>Hi RodW, was it with the same lens model?
No, I just slipped my 50mm f1.4 onto my friend's body to take a few snaps of their child for them. Whatever it was set on when I picked it up was really slow so wondered if it was the face recognition or something adding to focus time. I Can't really remember which mode I changed it to, would have been A or P and it came good so I thought it was worth a try for you

CharlieChan Registered since 24th Apr 2012Wed 02-May-12 10:50 PM
#11. "RE: Nikkor 24-85mm 2.8-4.0 sluggish autofocus?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I tried but there's not much difference between P,S and Auto mode.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 28-Apr-12 07:10 PM
#9. "RE: Nikkor 24-85mm 2.8-4.0 sluggish autofocus?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Charlie,

Keep in mind that your 24-85mm has a screwdriver type AF drive that is powered by the AF motor built into the camera body.
Given that the D50 is an entry level model, the AF motor has less torque than the AF motors in the Pro bodies. Add to that the size and weight of the lens elements that must be moved to focus the lens could be the root cause of your problem with the AF speed.
The kit lenses are smaller and lighter so there is less mass for the AF motor to overcome.
Since the Equipment tab in your User Profile is blank, I don't know the other lens or lenses that you are comparing the 24-85mm to.

Best Regards,
Marty

CharlieChan Registered since 24th Apr 2012Wed 02-May-12 10:48 PM
#10. "RE: Nikkor 24-85mm 2.8-4.0 sluggish autofocus?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Thanks for the insight, Marty! I also perceive that the 24-85mm lens is a bit heavy for the light D50 or D40 of mine.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 02-May-12 11:27 PM
#12. "RE: Nikkor 24-85mm 2.8-4.0 sluggish autofocus?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Hi Charlie,

The 24-85mm will not AF on your D40 as the D40 doesn't have an AF motor built into the camera body.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44219 Previous topic | Next topic