nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44197
View in linear mode

Subject: "About a second body" Previous topic | Next topic
photosb Registered since 30th Jan 2012Sun 01-Apr-12 05:29 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"About a second body"

US

Hi, Greetings.

I am thinking about getting a second body. Which one is better, D60 or D80? D60 is newer and D80 has built-in motor.

Thanks.

Ben

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: About a second body
CharlieS
01st Apr 2012
photosb
05th Apr 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
02nd Apr 2012
photosb
05th Apr 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
05th Apr 2012
Bluewaterhooker0
09th Apr 2012
photosb
10th Apr 2012
MadBchSkipper Silver Member
26th Apr 2012
petie3 Silver Member
17th May 2012
petie3 Silver Member
13th Nov 2012
Derek Mc
31st May 2012

CharlieS Registered since 29th Aug 2007Sun 01-Apr-12 05:53 PM
1729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: About a second body"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The root of the question is better at what? While the D80 can autofocus with screw drive lenses, the D60 is a newer generation and as such may have a stop or so better low light performance.
Without knowing what lenses you have, or plan on, as well as not knowing your preferred subject matter its hard to make a recommendation.

photosb Registered since 30th Jan 2012Thu 05-Apr-12 05:42 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: About a second body"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for your reply. I have AFS, AF, and manual lenses. Just want to play around with a second body. Sometimes a second body can be tortured without much worries. Don't you think so?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 02-Apr-12 03:41 AM
26977 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: About a second body"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Ben,

Welcome to Nikonians!

While the D60's sensor is slightly better than the D80's sensor, the D80 is a more capable body including a penta-prism viewfinder, faster FPS rate, a sub-command dial, and dedicated buttons providing faster access to controls without going through the menu.

BTW:
We always encourage our members to fill in their real first and last names and have made that issue a part of our Terms of Use.

The intent is to foster a community of "real people" instead of mysterious web-personalities with anonymous screen names.

Doing this helps to establish and maintain a safe, civil and friendly environment.

Thanks in advance.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

photosb Registered since 30th Jan 2012Thu 05-Apr-12 05:45 AM
#4. "RE: About a second body"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks Marty, I appreciate your response. I have had a D60 before and sold it later. Now I regret for it. As for the name issue. My name is Ben.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 05-Apr-12 07:33 AM
26977 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: About a second body"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Ben,

Thanks for updating your profile.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Bluewaterhooker0 Registered since 31st Jan 2009Mon 09-Apr-12 04:04 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: About a second body"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa, US

My vote would be for the D80. I have both the D40 and 3- D80's. Used to be professional, and shot in manual mode almost exclusively. The access to controls on the D80 facilitates easy manual adjustment, and the ability to use 'screw' type auto focus lenses is an added benny. If you shoot only in auto modes, the D60 may suit your needs (it is an upgraded version of the D40). However, you may want to think about future needs with regard to the additional capabilities of the D80.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

photosb Registered since 30th Jan 2012Tue 10-Apr-12 04:48 PM
#7. "RE: About a second body"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>My vote would be for the D80. I have both the D40 and 3-
>D80's. Used to be professional, and shot in manual mode almost
>exclusively. The access to controls on the D80 facilitates
>easy manual adjustment, and the ability to use 'screw' type
>auto focus lenses is an added benny. If you shoot only in auto
>modes, the D60 may suit your needs (it is an upgraded version
>of the D40). However, you may want to think about future needs
>with regard to the additional capabilities of the D80.

Thanks, Jerry. I am not a professional as you were. But I mostly shoot in manual mode too. I am leaning towards D80 now. Take care!

MadBchSkipper Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jul 2011Thu 26-Apr-12 11:27 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: About a second body"
In response to Reply # 7

Tarpon Springs, US

I have a D40 & D90, it's not a big deal but two different batteries. Check out the battery match if you have a choice. Having 4 batteries that match two bodies would be nice.

petie3 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2011Thu 17-May-12 08:18 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: About a second body"
In response to Reply # 8

US

My primary cameras are D90s and I highly recommend them. My backups are D50s. Just don't do what I did; tried a D50 battery in a D90 and it got thoroughly stuck. Had to screw an eyehook into the battery to remove it but thankfully no damage to the $750.

petie3 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2011Tue 13-Nov-12 07:09 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: About a second body"
In response to Reply # 9

US

A d40 or d40s would make more sense.

Derek Mc Registered since 16th May 2012Thu 31-May-12 08:09 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: About a second body"
In response to Reply # 0

Stewarton, UK

I used this site to get comparitive information when I was looking at buying.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon_D60-vs-Nikon_D80

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44197 Previous topic | Next topic