Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44165
View in linear mode

Subject: "D60 Macro capabilities?" Previous topic | Next topic
BillinBoston Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Mar 2012Wed 14-Mar-12 01:43 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D60 Macro capabilities?"

Hyde Park, MA, US

Hi,

I own a D60, a Nikkor 18-55mm 3.5-5.6G AF-S DX, a Nikkor 55-200mm 4-5.6G AF-S DX, a Nikkor 300mm F4D AF-S. and a TC 14E II 1.4x.

When doing previous macro work, especially for butterflies, I used a film camera Pentax ZX-7, a Pentax 50 mm 1.4, and a Vivatar 2x macro teleconverter. I was extremely happy with the results of that rig. But I would prefer to stay away from film, and use my D60 as a starting point for a new macro set-up.

I need advice as to what lens set-up with my D60 will be as effective, if not more so, than my old Pentax rig.

Does someone make a conversion ring to put a vivatar lens/pentax base on a D60? Conversely, are there other options for cheap money? Like a Vivatar 2x macro teleconverter with a Nikon base? Or bypassing the macro-teleconverter entirely, and using a a Nikkor prime? I can live with VR or no Vr. I can also live with AF-S or manual. I'm still pretty new to Nikon lenses, so the more specific you can be, the better. I would also be very interested in seeing some posted butterfly photographs of yours that used a D60 and a specific Nikon rig.

Thanks,
Bill

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D60 Macro capabilities?
Bluewaterhooker0
14th Mar 2012
BillinBoston Silver Member
14th Mar 2012
Bluewaterhooker0
14th Mar 2012
aolander Silver Member
15th Mar 2012
15th Mar 2012
aolander Silver Member
15th Mar 2012
16th Mar 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
15th Mar 2012

Bluewaterhooker0 Registered since 31st Jan 2009Wed 14-Mar-12 04:36 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D60 Macro capabilities?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa, US

This was shot with the same lens you have. The 18-55mm on a D40. It is cropped, but held up well. Otherwise, the Sigma 150mm macro is a nice lens for insects. It gets you some working distance, and is pretty sharp for not a whole lot of $$

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

BillinBoston Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Mar 2012Wed 14-Mar-12 11:59 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D60 Macro capabilities?"
In response to Reply # 1

Hyde Park, MA, US

Hi Jerry,

Many thanks. I'll look into the Sigma. BTW, what was your working distance on the Monarch shot?

Bill

Bluewaterhooker0 Registered since 31st Jan 2009Wed 14-Mar-12 02:17 PM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D60 Macro capabilities?"
In response to Reply # 2

Tampa, US

Shot that a while back. I'm sure it was zoomed all the way in, and at whatever minimum focus is for that lens. I have found both the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses to be really nice lenses. Not expensive, but very nice.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Thu 15-Mar-12 02:25 AM
3243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D60 Macro capabilities?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Your 300mm f/4 AF-S lens makes a good "macro". It focuses quite closely itself, but with extension tubes, e.g. Kenko, or a Canon 500D diopter lens, it really can get into the macro range.

Alan

BillinBoston Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Mar 2012Thu 15-Mar-12 07:28 AM
#5. "RE: D60 Macro capabilities?"
In response to Reply # 4

Hyde Park, MA, US

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the advice. I took out my 300 F4 for the first time today. It's definitely the heaviest lens I've ever used. I shot three hours without a tripod. Results weren't too bad, but I will most likely start using a tripod 75% of the time. Because most of my macro work is almost entirely butterflies, my 300 F4 won't see too much macro use, as the insects I photograph require me to be pretty mobile. But I'm sure that times will come up when I'm shooting birds, and a butterfly will come out of nowhere. At that moment I'll remember what you said, and give it a shot.

Bill

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Thu 15-Mar-12 12:23 PM
3243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D60 Macro capabilities?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 15-Mar-12 12:29 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

Yes, the 300mm is a little big. Your 55-200mm with a Canon 500D close-up diopter would work OK, too, especially at the long end of the zoom. I know you liked the 50mm plus Vivitar converter, but I think other options would give you better image quality. Converters are usually best with longer focal lengths, anyway. Even if there is an "adapter" to use your Vivitar, you would most likely be without metering.

Alan

BillinBoston Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Mar 2012Fri 16-Mar-12 02:54 PM
#8. "RE: D60 Macro capabilities?"
In response to Reply # 6

Hyde Park, MA, US

Hi Alan,

Many thanks for the further clarification. I think I'll head over to one of Boston's bigger camera stores with some of my stuff and with your advice, and see what they can show me. I'll let you know how everything worked out.

Bill

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 15-Mar-12 01:25 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D60 Macro capabilities?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

There are a number of ways to do close-up photography. I would start with the Micro, Macro & Close-up Photography Discipline series of articles. They cover camera stability, focusing, close-up lens attachments, extension tubes, macro lenses, reversing rings, bellows, and focusing rails.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44165 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.