Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44162
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tamron SP 70-300mm Di VC USD for D40?" Previous topic | Next topic
tphilpott Registered since 05th Mar 2012Tue 13-Mar-12 04:54 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Tamron SP 70-300mm Di VC USD for D40?"

San Francisco, US

Is this lens compatible with the D40? I understood the USD feature would allow this lens to work with my D40 so I ordered one, but the AF doesn't seem to be functional with my camera. Did I get a bad lens or did I order the wrong one (A005)? If its supposed to be compatible can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong? Any suggestions appreciated. I bought the lens used to save a few buck so I'm not sure I can return it.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Tamron SP 70-300mm Di VC USD for D40?
Covey22 Moderator
13th Mar 2012
tphilpott
14th Mar 2012
tphilpott
15th Mar 2012
MEMcD Moderator
15th Mar 2012
MEMcD Moderator
15th Mar 2012
tphilpott
16th Mar 2012
MEMcD Moderator
16th Mar 2012
tphilpott
24th Mar 2012
MEMcD Moderator
25th Mar 2012

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 13-Mar-12 12:12 PM
10630 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Tamron SP 70-300mm Di VC USD for D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

It should be compatible with your camera. Recommend double-checking the AF switch settings on both the body and lens.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

tphilpott Registered since 05th Mar 2012Wed 14-Mar-12 01:46 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Tamron SP 70-300mm Di VC USD for D40?"
In response to Reply # 1

San Francisco, US

>"It should be compatible with your camera. Recommend
>double-checking the AF switch settings on both the body and
>lens."

The AF switch on the lens is on. The AF setting for the camera is set on AF-A which is what I've shooting with for years. Tried AF-S and it still didn't work. When I try to focus I can hear the lens start to focus, but then it stops without focusing. Any other ideas?

tphilpott Registered since 05th Mar 2012Thu 15-Mar-12 05:27 AM
#3. "RE: Tamron SP 70-300mm Di VC USD for D40?"
In response to Reply # 2

San Francisco, US

Can anyone help me out? I have a $400 paper weight that I can't seem to make work with my camera. How can I tell if its a bad lens? Any comments appreciated

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 15-Mar-12 07:15 AM
25943 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Tamron SP 70-300mm Di VC USD for D40?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Tom,

The Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD has an AF motor built into the lens and is fully compatible with the D40 including AF.
Make sure that your D40 is in AF mode.
Verify that the AF/M switch on the lens is set to AF.
Do your Nikkor lenses work correctly?
If yes, try cleaning the electrical contacts on the camera body and the lens with DeOxit (available at Radio Shack). Also make sure that all of the electrical contacts on the lens project out the same distance. They are spring loaded and can get jammed in.
If the lens won't AF after cleaning and checking the electrical contacts, there is something wrong with the lens.
If you know someone with a Nikon DSLR, for a final check, you could mount the lens on their camera. If it doesn't work, the problem is defintely with the lens.
If you purchased the lens from a Dealer, they should take the lens back or pay for the repair. If you used a credit card, contact the card issuerer and check to see if they have buyer protection coverage.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 15-Mar-12 07:17 AM
25943 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Tamron SP 70-300mm Di VC USD for D40?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Tom,

Also make sure that the lens is fully seated and locked in the mount.

Best Regards,
Marty

tphilpott Registered since 05th Mar 2012Fri 16-Mar-12 10:13 PM
#6. "RE: Tamron SP 70-300mm Di VC USD for D40?"
In response to Reply # 5

San Francisco, US

>Hi Tom,
>
>Also make sure that the lens is fully seated and locked in the
>mount.
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Thanks Marty!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 16-Mar-12 11:29 PM
#7. "RE: Tamron SP 70-300mm Di VC USD for D40?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Tom,

Any luck?

Best Regards,
Marty

tphilpott Registered since 05th Mar 2012Sat 24-Mar-12 10:14 PM
#8. "RE: Tamron SP 70-300mm Di VC USD for D40?"
In response to Reply # 7

San Francisco, US

Turns out it was just a bad lens. That's what I get for ordering a used lens. At least Amazon refunded my money. Decided to buy a new one and thankfully due to a rebate I found it was only $70 more.

Just had a chance to use the lens yesterday (it shipped earlier than expected)to shoot my son's varsity high school baseball game. The lens performed well. I got about 400 clean shots, very clean lens with great clarity and detail. The auto-focus worked well (pretty fast, even at 300mm)and vibration compensation also was great.

Only thing I need to get used to is the added weight. It feels about twice as heavy as my Nikon 55-200 zoom lens, and zooming the lens feels stiffer than my Nikon lenses. I missed a few outfield shot because I couldn't find the play in my view finder while quickly zooming and auto focusing at the same time. But as always practice makes perfect! Thanks for all the responses and advice.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 25-Mar-12 12:49 AM
#9. "RE: Tamron SP 70-300mm Di VC USD for D40?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Hi Tom,

Glad to hear the problem is resolved.
Thanks for the follow up.
You will get used to the added weight.
Enjoy the new lens.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44162 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.