Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44119
View in linear mode

Subject: "New lens for D60" Previous topic | Next topic
savingbirds Registered since 03rd Mar 2012Sat 03-Mar-12 08:02 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New lens for D60"

CA

I have a Nikon D60 for a few years now and have been staying with the kit (18-55mm) lens. At this point, I am wondering whether to purchase the
AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G
or the
AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED

I think the zoom would benefit for as it covers the extended telephoto range, but I hear the 50 1.8 is almost a necessity and is great for portrait and single-subject shots.
My question is, which lens should I save up for first?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New lens for D60
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Mar 2012
savingbirds
05th Mar 2012
blw Moderator
05th Mar 2012
MEMcD Moderator
05th Mar 2012
ctdrummer Silver Member
05th Mar 2012
MEMcD Moderator
06th Mar 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 03-Mar-12 11:27 PM
25739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Songyi,

Welcome to Nikonians!
What photographic problem are you trying to solve?
If you shoot Portraits or in low light, get the 50mm f/1.8G AF-S first. If you need more reach, the 55-200mm, 55-200mm VR, or 55-300mm VR would be a better choice.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

savingbirds Registered since 03rd Mar 2012Mon 05-Mar-12 01:43 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

What's your opinion on VR? I heard it is a good feature to have, but I'll be shooting most telephoto shots with a tripod. Is it good to have nonetheless?

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 05-Mar-12 01:31 PM
26589 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: New lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

On a tripod you'd need to turn VR off. It's for when you want to hand-hold the rig. You are clearly unlike most folks, who try to avoid a tripod at all costs, often including the image. VR is a very nice thing to have - I am a pretty dedicated tripod user and I still use VR for some things. There are times when the tripod is prohibited (museums, for example), and others when it's just not convenient (a trip to an amusement park with the kids).

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 05-Mar-12 05:12 PM
25739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Songyi,

VR should always be turned Off when using a tripod with the exception of the Super Telephoto lenses that have VR with Tripod mode.
The longer the focal length of the lens, the more useful VR is. More so with a slow lens like the variable aperture zooms.

Best Regards,
Marty

ctdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Mon 05-Mar-12 07:03 PM
178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 4

Southern CT, US

>but I hear the 50 1.8 is almost a necessity and is great for portrait and single-subject shots.

Since the 50mm is actually a 75mm for dx bodies, wouldn't the 35mm actually be a better portrait lens? You can get closer to the subject. Or is it that the 50mm will give you a better blurred background?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 06-Mar-12 03:05 AM
#6. "RE: New lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Patrick,

>Since the 50mm is actually a 75mm for dx bodies, wouldn't the
>35mm actually be a better portrait lens?

The focal length of any lens does not change when it is mounted on a DX body. Only the Field of View changes (Crop Factor)due to the smaller DX sensor. A 50mm lens on a DX body has the same Field of View as a 75mm lens on a film or FX body.

Traditional 35mm format portrait focal lengths go between about 70mm and 135mm. The reason for the longer focal lengths is perspective. The narrower perspective of a 70mm - 135mm lens is more flattering to the human form than a wide angle lens. That said, everyone eye is different. Some prefer to use a 35mm lens for portraits while others don't. On a DX body, I usually use an 85mm f/1.4 or something even longer.

A 35mm lens on a DX body has the same FOV as a 50mm lens on a film or FX body. 50mm has traditionably been a normal lens on 35mm film bodies providing a perspective similar to our eyes.

>You can get closer to the subject.

True, but some people feel uncomfortable with a camera close to them.

>Or is it that the 50mm will give you a better blurred background?

As I wrote above, longer focal lengths provide a more flattering perspective for the human form and as an added benifit a narrower Depth of Field for the same given aperture.
The bokeh (quality of the out of focus areas) is a function of each particular lens.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44119 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.