Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44104
View in linear mode

Subject: "D40 upgrade - can't decide FX or DX" Previous topic | Next topic
HankThePigeon Registered since 21st Feb 2012Tue 21-Feb-12 01:06 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D40 upgrade - can't decide FX or DX"

US

Hey everyone! I'm new here, and I have come in search of some much needed expert advice, and general opinions.

I've been shooting a D40 for about 3 years now and it's served me well, but I'm looking to upgrade. I'm having struggles deciding between a D700 or a D7k. I know the benefits of FX, as I mostly shoot natural light portraits with a shallow depth of field. I also know that FX means expensive glass, and CF cards.

All of my current lenses are DX, except my 50mm 1.4 AI-S
I've always been told to invest in glass because camera bodies are frequently replaced. But it seems to me like FX bodies last and the price of a used D700 looks good right now.
So thats where I'm struggling. One part of me feels like I should make the most of my investment and skip right to FX. But the other part of me says continue with a DX body and continue to save and invest in FX glass, (i.e - 85mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4)

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated! I'm a little lost and feeling discouraged at this point.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 21-Feb-12 04:11 PM
26291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: D40 upgrade - can't decide FX or DX"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

> I mostly shoot natural light portraits with a shallow depth of field.

You can do that with DX too.

D2x, 80-200/f2.8 @ 200mm, f/2.8.

D2x. 80-200/f2.8 AFS, 200mm, f/2.8.

D2h, 135/f2 AIS, f/2.

> FX bodies last

So do DX bodies, and generally speaking they cost a lot less. You're shooting a D40, so clearly you aren't needing the last word in high ISO performance: the D40 is far less capable than the latest DX bodies in this regard. If you buy into AFS glass, you won't have issues with lens interoperability. And you didn't mention the most obvious limitation of a D40, which is 6mp. If you're worried about either of these, a D90 can be had for under $700, and it provides screwdriver AF, a 12mp sensor and easily a full stop more high ISO than your D40 - probably more than that.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 22-Feb-12 04:20 AM
3706 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D40 upgrade - can't decide FX or DX"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

If you do not have a compelling need to go to FX, my recommendation would be to stay with DX. The D7000 is a great camera with good high ISO and noise handling. The D300S is a great camera with a "pro" body and about to be upgraded by the D400 "Real Soon Now"(tm).

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44104 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.