nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D40 upgrade - can't decide FX or DX

HankThePigeon

US
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
HankThePigeon Registered since 21st Feb 2012
Tue 21-Feb-12 01:06 AM

Hey everyone! I'm new here, and I have come in search of some much needed expert advice, and general opinions.

I've been shooting a D40 for about 3 years now and it's served me well, but I'm looking to upgrade. I'm having struggles deciding between a D700 or a D7k. I know the benefits of FX, as I mostly shoot natural light portraits with a shallow depth of field. I also know that FX means expensive glass, and CF cards.

All of my current lenses are DX, except my 50mm 1.4 AI-S
I've always been told to invest in glass because camera bodies are frequently replaced. But it seems to me like FX bodies last and the price of a used D700 looks good right now.
So thats where I'm struggling. One part of me feels like I should make the most of my investment and skip right to FX. But the other part of me says continue with a DX body and continue to save and invest in FX glass, (i.e - 85mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4)

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated! I'm a little lost and feeling discouraged at this point.

G