nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D40 upgrade - can't decide FX or DX

HankThePigeon

US
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
HankThePigeon Registered since 21st Feb 2012
Tue 21-Feb-12 01:06 AM

Hey everyone! I'm new here, and I have come in search of some much needed expert advice, and general opinions.

I've been shooting a D40 for about 3 years now and it's served me well, but I'm looking to upgrade. I'm having struggles deciding between a D700 or a D7k. I know the benefits of FX, as I mostly shoot natural light portraits with a shallow depth of field. I also know that FX means expensive glass, and CF cards.

All of my current lenses are DX, except my 50mm 1.4 AI-S
I've always been told to invest in glass because camera bodies are frequently replaced. But it seems to me like FX bodies last and the price of a used D700 looks good right now.
So thats where I'm struggling. One part of me feels like I should make the most of my investment and skip right to FX. But the other part of me says continue with a DX body and continue to save and invest in FX glass, (i.e - 85mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4)

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated! I'm a little lost and feeling discouraged at this point.

G