nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44100
View in linear mode

Subject: "Photos not "sharp"" Previous topic | Next topic
rrtom Registered since 20th Feb 2012Mon 20-Feb-12 04:51 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Photos not "sharp""

US

I have a D50 with the following lenses:
20MM 1:2.8D
70-300MM 1:4-5.6G
28-80MM 1:3.3-5.6G

I am not getting photos that look sharp to me. Yet once in a great while I get one that is really sharp.

I went out yesterday for 3 hours and shot with all 3 lenses, using a tripod and shooting aperture priority. I tried several F stops with each lens. And I was not satisfied with the quality of the photos as far as sharpness.

I am wondering if the fault lies in my abilities, the quality of lens, or the camera needing some service. I am considering renting a high quality lens for one day to see if there is any difference.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions at all would be appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 20-Feb-12 05:46 PM
10884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Photos not "sharp""
In response to Reply # 0

US

Easiest troubleshooting step is to post some photos with the EXIF (shooting information) intact. This will help tell us settings at time of capture including the focus point (if available).

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 20-Feb-12 06:02 PM
27024 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Photos not "sharp""
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Thomas,

Welcome to Nikonians!
What Image Quality settings do you have set in the camera?

How are you viewing the images?

Can you add a few sample images to your gallery with the Exif data intact and provide a link to them?

By providing the above information we will have a better idea of the cause of your problem.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

clocke Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Apr 2003Thu 23-Feb-12 04:10 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Photos not "sharp""
In response to Reply # 2

Hungerford, US

Two things come to mind.....the first is your f-stop, and the second is the speed at which you are shooting.

Set up for aperture priority and f8 or f11 and set your ISO high enough so that your shutter speed is fast....about 1/500 or so.

At these f-stops you will have a decent depth of field so that focus will not be so critical.

1/500 will be fast enough to minimize the effects of most camera shake that may be occurring.

See if this helps your sharpness issue. And good luck!!

Coleman Locke
Whaton, Texas

clocke

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Sun 11-Mar-12 04:43 PM
14363 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Photos not "sharp""
In response to Reply # 0

Berwyn Heights, US

Taking the photos with whatever equipment and technique is just part of the process, and not the only factor regarding sharpness. What sharpness setting did you use in-camera? What aperture for what subject (DOF considerations)? What focal length for what lens (most lenses lose some sharpness at their extremes of aperture AND focal length). What size are you viewing the images on your monitor? What sharpening method, and how much are you adding, in post-processing. It all has to come together to get the best and sharpest results.

Getting all this right, you should be able to get pretty sharp images from almost any camera and lens--at least for real world viewing. For viewing, look at your originals at about 50% size. This gives you a pretty good estimation of print sharpness. You can view re-sized web images at 100% of their final size. Blowing them up more is akin to standing too close to a billboard. It wasn't meant to be viewed up that close.

I know it's a lot to think about, but it really is a learning process that never ends. Be sure to test very strictly and consider all these factors before you make any final decisions. You don't want to incur any unnecessary selling/purchasing expenses if your current equipment is ultimately okay.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44100 Previous topic | Next topic