Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44099
View in linear mode

Subject: "Time to upgrade?" Previous topic | Next topic
wavey davey Registered since 30th Oct 2011Mon 20-Feb-12 06:55 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Time to upgrade?"

GB

So,

I have been using my D40 (purchased via ebay) for about 2 years now, and having feel that I am ready to upgrade to a new DSLR.

I am thinking of going for a D3100, as I like the feel of my Nikon, and I will be able to use my existing lenses etc.

Is it a good choice to upggrade to?

What would you go for?

My budget will be around (£400 - £500, or $600 - $750)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Time to upgrade?
CharlieS Silver Member
20th Feb 2012
Floridian Silver Member
22nd Feb 2012
ronaldnd Silver Member
23rd Feb 2012
wavey davey
25th Feb 2012
Covey22 Moderator
25th Feb 2012
rgrandall
27th Feb 2012
wavey davey
27th Feb 2012
wavey davey
06th Mar 2012
MEMcD Moderator
06th Mar 2012

CharlieS Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Mon 20-Feb-12 03:55 PM
1729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Time to upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

What will the D3100 do that a D40 won't? Granted it's a newer generation sensor which should offer better low light performance. (i'm not familiar with the D3100) But it's somewhat a lateral move considering lense choices. I belive with the D3100 you are still limited to the same as D40 lenses in that to autofocus a lense still needs a built in motor, thus you'd still be limited on usable lenses.
Bottom line is what areas do you need the camera to improve upon, that your present camera doesn't do?

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Wed 22-Feb-12 02:35 AM
2716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Time to upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

The D40 is a pretty good camera. What would you hope to gain by upgrading? Here's how I'd look at it. I'd upgrade when I thought "I'd like to be able to do X, which my current camera won't allow me to do, but that camera Y would." So then, you upgrade to camera Y so you can do X.

What is it your D40 won't allow you to do that you could do with a D3100? The answer to that question will tell you whether you should upgrade, and if you should, whether the D3100 is the right camera.

Randy

ronaldnd Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2008Thu 23-Feb-12 04:22 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Time to upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 2

CA

I have never used a D40 but I did own the D3100 and I loved it. A friend of mine begged me to sell it to him so I did and then I bought a D5100, but several times I've thought of getting another D3100 just because of its compactness, light weight and it just felt right and took beautiful images. That's not a very technical or logical answer but it's what I experienced.
If you do upgrade I'm sure you won't regret it. In any event enjoy your Nikon!

Ron

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

wavey davey Registered since 30th Oct 2011Sat 25-Feb-12 04:02 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Time to upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Well, in answer to CharlieS and Floridian, I guess I am looking for a newer model of what I currently have.

I would in no way consider myself an expert, so something at the 'entry level' is probably still the best for me.

I like my D40, so dont think that the autofocus (motorised) lenses are too much of an issue, plus the ones I already have will still work.

I think that the D3100 has more pixels, new sensor so better in low light, live screen, video, greater ISO range, and will have the addition of being new (my D40 must be 5 years old by now).

I dont necessarily think it will do much that my current one does, with the exception of video, but it might do what it does BETTER than the D40?

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSat 25-Feb-12 06:05 PM
10577 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Time to upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

The D3100 is an excellent upgrade choice - you will be able to reuse your lenses and accessories (albeit new batteries - suggest at least 1 extra). I saw some factory demo units for under USD400. The AF system is a great improvement for one and the handling as well.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

rgrandall Registered since 20th Feb 2012Mon 27-Feb-12 07:21 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Time to upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>So,
>
>I have been using my D40 (purchased via ebay) for about 2
>years now, and having feel that I am ready to upgrade to a new
>DSLR.
>
>I am thinking of going for a D3100, as I like the feel of my
>Nikon, and I will be able to use my existing lenses etc.
>
>Is it a good choice to upggrade to?
>
>What would you go for?
>
>My budget will be around (£400 - £500, or $600 - $750)

I am planning to upgrade from my D40, which I've had since Dec 2007, so I've been using mine now for 4.5 years and ~50,000 shutter clicks. I'm mainly a landscaper/wildlife photog as a do a lot of hiking and backpacking. I started with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens package, but last year got the rebate-affordable all-in-one Tamron 18-270 VR lens, which is a good choice for hiking.

I'm planning to upgrade to the D5100 body for several reasons:

** MUCH higher resolution (16MP) provides better cropping and re-composition options -- important for shooting far-off wildlife and close-ups of plantlife & insects.

** In-camera HDR options -- important for sunrise/sunset hours, and landscape situations with strong sun/dark shadows.

** 3-inch flip screen -- Though I am old-school and strongly prefer to compose/focus using the eyepiece rather than screen, there are some situations (like a low-angle close-up) where use of the flip screen is vastly preferable to having to having to remove a full-backpack and lay down on the ground to make a good shot. The other is sharing photos with others and not having to hand the camera back and forth.

** Video -- I've yet to do a still photo of say, a small alpine brook, that couldn't be improved as a video -- showing the motion of the water AND the sound of it. Also, the call of a bird, or the sheer grace of movement of a deer can sometime be better conveyed by video over a still photo.

I guess I'm saying to take a look at and compare the D5100 to the D3100 as there is so much offered by the 5100.

-- Bob

wavey davey Registered since 30th Oct 2011Mon 27-Feb-12 07:33 PM
#7. "RE: Time to upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 6

GB

Ooh, food for thought Bob.

I can currently source a D3100 (back in stock, or soon in stock locally to me) for £420.

The D5100 comes in at £580.

Sounds like I have the same lense choice as you too - 18-55mm and 55-200mm.

Might have to pay a visit to the shops tomorrow, see what they have!

wavey davey Registered since 30th Oct 2011Tue 06-Mar-12 08:50 PM
#8. "RE: Time to upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 7

GB

Took the plunge - got myself a brand spanking new D3100 today, together with a Tamron 70-300mm lens.

Looking forward to trying my new kit!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 06-Mar-12 09:47 PM
25732 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Time to upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Hi Dave,

Congratulations on your new D3100.
Enjoy.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44099 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.