Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44085
View in linear mode

Subject: "Shutter release cable for D40x" Previous topic | Next topic
ctdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Tue 14-Feb-12 02:42 AM
206 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Shutter release cable for D40x"

Southern CT, US

Hi all,

Is there a shutter release cable available for the d40x? I want to take some long exposure shots in bulb mode without holding the button down.

Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 14-Feb-12 04:35 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Shutter release cable for D40x"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

There is not mechanical remote shutter release, there is no electric port for a remote shutter release. There is only the ML-L3 IR remote release.

When the camera is set for bulb and the Remote is enabled press the ML-L3 once to open the shutter and a second time to close the shutter.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

ctdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Tue 14-Feb-12 03:26 PM
206 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Shutter release cable for D40x"
In response to Reply # 1

Southern CT, US

>There is not mechanical remote shutter release, there is no
>electric port for a remote shutter release. There is only the
>ML-L3 IR remote release.
>
>When the camera is set for bulb and the Remote is enabled
>press the ML-L3 once to open the shutter and a second time to
>close the shutter.

Thank you George. I am just having trouble getting the IR remote to work in bright daylight. I'll admit that I have a knock-off ML-L3, maybe that's the reason.

Patrick

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 14-Feb-12 09:46 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Shutter release cable for D40x"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

Unless you are also using an ND filter, I do not see a need for a long exposure in bright daylight.

If you are standing behind your camera and pointing the ML-L3 or TV remote down from above the sensor, you could attach a piece of dark cloth or dark paper to the remote and shade the sensor while pointing the remote down onto the sensor.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

ctdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Wed 15-Feb-12 09:13 PM
#4. "RE: Shutter release cable for D40x"
In response to Reply # 3

Southern CT, US

Yes of course, sorry.. for daylight shots I was looking for the shutter release to provide for a steadier shot. I'll try your idea next time with shading and ML-L3.

Thanks! Patrick

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44085 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.