Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44081
View in linear mode

Subject: "D40X Warning Turn Off then Turn On" Previous topic | Next topic
larrysbk Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Dec 2005Sun 12-Feb-12 04:59 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D40X Warning Turn Off then Turn On"

Berkley, US

One of my friends has a D40X that's been locking up and displaying a warning on the rear LCD. I don't have the exact wording, but it displays a stop sign and asks the user to turn the camera off, then turn it back on. The lens is a first generation 18-200 Nikon VR. One other possible variable is that one of his camera batteries in a non-OEM Duracell brand. This was the battery he was using when it was locking up yesterday. Anyone have any idea as to what might be going on?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 13-Feb-12 05:12 PM
3191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D40X Warning Turn Off then Turn On"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

In other posts I have read concerning that particular warning message, the conclusion has been that the camera is in need of repair.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

petie3 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2011Thu 22-Mar-12 05:38 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D40X Warning Turn Off then Turn On"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Go a bit further. Turn off. REMOVE battery. REMOVE SD card. REMOVE lens. Check all settings on camera. Clean contacts on lens, camera. Clean contacts on SD card, battery. Replace lens. Replace battery. Turn on, turn off. Replace SD card. Turn on.
If that doesn't work, repeat once or twice, then into the shop.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

CharlieS Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Fri 23-Mar-12 12:41 AM
1729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D40X Warning Turn Off then Turn On"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 23-Mar-12 12:42 AM by CharlieS

US

the best thing to do first if possible, is try a different lens and battery. eliminate those variables first.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44081 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.