Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44065
View in linear mode

Subject: "How do I get rid of noise with my D40?" Previous topic | Next topic
SnapHappii Registered since 10th Dec 2011Thu 09-Feb-12 05:09 PM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How do I get rid of noise with my D40?"

US

I've noticed that my pictures come out with 'noise' or 'grain.' I'm not sure what the proper term is, but they definitley are poor quality. I don't remember my camera ever having this problem. If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it! My pictures look so gross now I don't even have the will power to go out and photograph

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How do I get rid of noise with my D40?
SheriB Silver Member
09th Feb 2012
SnapHappii
09th Feb 2012
MEMcD Moderator
09th Feb 2012
SnapHappii
09th Feb 2012
MEMcD Moderator
09th Feb 2012
CharlieS Silver Member
09th Feb 2012
SnapHappii
10th Feb 2012
JosephK Silver Member
10th Feb 2012
SnapHappii
10th Feb 2012
CharlieS Silver Member
10th Feb 2012
JosephK Silver Member
10th Feb 2012
aolander Silver Member
10th Feb 2012
Belmore
17th Mar 2012

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Thu 09-Feb-12 05:38 PM
1632 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How do I get rid of noise with my D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

You say you do not remember having this problem..so has anything chnaged? A new lens..shooting style( as in you used to shoot all landscapes now you are shooting macro) You checked your exif and you do not have some setting changed from 'before'? Also would help if you posted some examples..We need a little more info

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

SnapHappii Registered since 10th Dec 2011Thu 09-Feb-12 06:05 PM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How do I get rid of noise with my D40?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I have the regular lens that came with it. And I have a 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6. I don't think anything in particular has changed. I've recently started to change the settings on my camera. I'll post some photos in a bit.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 09-Feb-12 06:57 PM
25745 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How do I get rid of noise with my D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Megan,

Noise is usually a result of shooting at high ISO settings.
Is the ISO set higher than 800?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

SnapHappii Registered since 10th Dec 2011Thu 09-Feb-12 07:27 PM
#4. "RE: How do I get rid of noise with my D40?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>Hi Megan,
>
>Noise is usually a result of shooting at high ISO settings.
>Is the ISO set higher than 800?
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

It's set at 200. Could it be that my camera sensor needs cleaned?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 09-Feb-12 08:14 PM
25745 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How do I get rid of noise with my D40?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Megan,

Dust on the sensor shouldn't look like noise or grain.
To check the sensor for dust, stop down the aperture to f/16 or f/22 and aim the camera at a blue sky and capture an image. Dust and dirt on the sensor will show up as black dots or dark blotches.

Under exposure can also cause noise. Is the noise in the darker areas of the image or across the entire frame.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

CharlieS Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Thu 09-Feb-12 08:24 PM
1729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How do I get rid of noise with my D40?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Tell us a little about subject matter, shooting conditions, post processing etc.
Are you shooting in a very dark atmosphere, or conditions where you're underexposing photos then correcting in post processing?
Even at low/native iso, dark shadow areas in a photo can show noise when exposure is corrected a large amount.
How many actuations has the camera taken? If its a huge amount, say over at least 50K while not likely, it could be a problem within the camera itself.
Does the problem occur with a single lens or with any lens mounted?
Dirty sensors don't usually show up as noise over an entire image, more so as ugly blotchy spots on a photo or specks of dirt showing as dark or miscolored spots, so while your sensor may well benefit from cleaning, a dirty sensor isn't likely to be the cause, or at least sole cause.
As mentioned, some sample images would be a big help in a diagnosis.

SnapHappii Registered since 10th Dec 2011Fri 10-Feb-12 12:45 AM
#7. "RE: How do I get rid of noise with my D40?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I guess a dirty sensor isn't the case, I can see the blotches.

How would I find out how many actuations it has taken? (I'm using the ViewNX2 if that helps)

And I would say it happens all the time, unless it's a gorgeous sunny day.

It's really quite depressing, I don't bother to pick up my camera anymore because my photographs are always very poor quality now! I really need to get this problem fixed

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 10-Feb-12 01:05 AM
4214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: How do I get rid of noise with my D40?"
In response to Reply # 7

Seattle, WA, US

Post and example picture with all the EXIF data so that we can see what you are seeing and help diagnose the problem.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

SnapHappii Registered since 10th Dec 2011Fri 10-Feb-12 01:32 AM
#9. "RE: How do I get rid of noise with my D40?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

http://snaphappii.deviantart.com/#/d4ippx3

http://snaphappii.deviantart.com/#/d4j2zr8

Those are the only ones I can find at the moment. To get the other one's I'll have to hook up my old computer which I'll have to do tomorrow.

CharlieS Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Fri 10-Feb-12 03:59 AM
1729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: How do I get rid of noise with my D40?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

To find shutter actuations, you can download the exif viewer from opanda.com and open an unedited jpg. Close to the bottom in the makernotes section there is a line referencing total shutter actuations. Lots of other data also pertaining to the individual exposure.

After using the download function to see the full size image on the bottom link you provided, what I'm seeing does appear to be noise but only in the light halo's around the street lights, a little on the rooftops in the background and dark sky.

I don't know if the D40 was plagued by this problem though the D80 had some heat related sensor issues during long exposures, and being roughly the same generation camera technology the D40 could suffer from some of the same issues.
If this were strictly an iso related noise issue it would be visible over most or all of the image and i'm not seeing that. The lit areas and even the darker areas in the foreground are quite noise free, on my monitor at least.

How about well exposed daytime shots in good light? does the same issue exist? or is it only in shots similar to the ones you posted links to?
Oh and according to opanda, the image in your second link shows your camera had 17315 actuations, so it should have alot of miles left in it.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 10-Feb-12 06:36 AM
4214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: How do I get rid of noise with my D40?"
In response to Reply # 9

Seattle, WA, US

>http://snaphappii.deviantart.com/#/d4ippx3
>
>http://snaphappii.deviantart.com/#/d4j2zr8
>
>Those are the only ones I can find at the moment. To get the
>other one's I'll have to hook up my old computer which I'll
>have to do tomorrow.

I remember those two photos from a previous post.

Neither of those two pictures have much noise to talk about.

In general, to limit noise you want to use as low an ISO as possible to get the job done and not underexpose the shot. Often when using a higher ISO I will set an EV of +0.3 to help boost the signal to noise ratio then darken the image in post processing if necessary.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Fri 10-Feb-12 01:58 PM
3203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: How do I get rid of noise with my D40?"
In response to Reply # 9

Nevis, US

Areas of an image that are underexposed will have noise. The night images you linked to have a lot of underexposed areas, but I don't think the noise is objectionable.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Belmore Registered since 16th Dec 2011Sat 17-Mar-12 11:10 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: How do I get rid of noise with my D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

Did you changed the auto iso? Try to switch it off and see if this make difference.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44065 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.