Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44025
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D60 problem - photos progressively dark (almost b..." Previous topic | Next topic
dinikon26 Registered since 19th Dec 2011Mon 19-Dec-11 08:14 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D60 problem - photos progressively dark (almost black now), even with flash"

US

I recently checked my shutter release count, and it's around 20,000, so my D60 is relatively "young" (or at least I think 20K is "young"). This weekend, I was taking several shots of the same scene -- same lighting, same settings, same subjects -- and the photos got progressively darker. I shoot on manual. After a few more shots, the photos were almost black, even when I switched to auto and used flash. What is going on? The photos are almost black no matter what setting I have the camera on - auto, manual, with flash, etc. I also tried a new battery and that didn't change anything.

I tried my Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens on another Nikon, and it was just fine, so I apparently have a problem with my D60 body. . .but what? and where do I go to diagnose/fix it? Is it an expensive fix?

I am hoping there's something really obvious I am not thinking of - maybe I changed a menu setting without knowing it, but I've tried everything I can think of!

I appreciate any help!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 21-Dec-11 01:42 AM
26795 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Nikon D60 problem - photos progressively dark (almost black now), even with flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

What does the EXIF data say for, say, several successive (progressively darker) shots?

What happens if you set everything to manual? Can you adjust an exposure to get a reasonable shot, regardless of what the meter says?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

dinikon26 Registered since 19th Dec 2011Wed 21-Dec-11 02:11 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D60 problem - photos progressively dark (almost black now), even with flash"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>What does the EXIF data say for, say, several successive
>(progressively darker) shots?
>
>What happens if you set everything to manual? Can you adjust
>an exposure to get a reasonable shot, regardless of what the
>meter says?

Thanks for responding! The Exposure Time (1/200), ISO (800), and F stop (1.4) all remained the same. Per Opanda IExif, what appears to have changed is the subsec time (all consecutively darker photos, all of the same image, taken within 9 seconds of each other):

1. Subsec Time = 0.90"
2. Subsec Time = 0.70"
3. Subsec Time = 0.10"
4. Subsec Time = 0.60"
5. Subsec Time =

On manual settings, I can get a reasonable shot if I move the meter WAY to the left.

THANK YOU!

dinikon26 Registered since 19th Dec 2011Wed 21-Dec-11 02:30 AM
#3. "RE: Nikon D60 problem - photos progressively dark (almost black now), even with flash"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>>What does the EXIF data say for, say, several successive
>>(progressively darker) shots?
>>
>>What happens if you set everything to manual? Can you
>adjust
>>an exposure to get a reasonable shot, regardless of what
>the
>>meter says?
>
>Thanks for responding! The Exposure Time (1/200), ISO (800),
>and F stop (1.4) all remained the same. Per Opanda IExif,
>what appears to have changed is the subsec time (all
>consecutively darker photos, all of the same image, taken
>within 9 seconds of each other):
>
>1. Subsec Time = 0.90"
>2. Subsec Time = 0.70"
>3. Subsec Time = 0.10"
>4. Subsec Time = 0.60"
>5. Subsec Time =
>
>On manual settings, I can get a reasonable shot if I move the
>meter WAY to the left.
>
>THANK YOU!
>

Oops, sorry, replying to myself here. I just looked Subsec Time up, and it appears to be a part of the timestamp, so I guess that's not relevant to the problem here!

Other lines that changed:

1. Interoperability IFD Pointer = Offset: 29150
2. Interoperability IFD Pointer = Offset: 29934
3. Interoperability IFD Pointer = Offset: 42940
4. Interoperability IFD Pointer = Offset: 40554

1. JPEG Interchange Format = Offset: 29288
2. JPEG Interchange Format = Offset: 30072
3. JPEG Interchange Format = Offset: 43080
4. JPEG Interchange Format = Offset: 40692

1. 00A2 = 2567284
2. 00A2 = 2242586
3. 00A2 = 2503512
4. 00A2 = 2484578

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 21-Dec-11 03:21 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D60 problem - photos progressively dark (almost black now), even with flash"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 21-Dec-11 03:25 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Offsets are for locating data positions from a starting byte in the image file.

If other lenses work fine, then I would suspect the lens has a problem.

Is the stop down lever on the lens bent, missing or broken?

This lever allows the lens's iris to stop down from wide open for focusing and metering to the determined f stop for shooting or DOF preview on cameras that support this feature.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44025 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.