Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44021
View in linear mode

Subject: "D40 problem in hot hot heat" Previous topic | Next topic
wavey davey Registered since 30th Oct 2011Thu 15-Dec-11 06:00 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D40 problem in hot hot heat"

GB

Hi, i am on vacation in Zanzibar in Africa and have encountered a problem with my D40. Every time i take a photo, in any mode the result is way too dark, even on long exposures in bright daylight. I then get an error message come up telling me to press the shetter release again. It is hot here - 32 centigrade and up. Have i cooked something inside it? All advice appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D40 problem in hot hot heat
MEMcD Moderator
15th Dec 2011
DeanAZ Moderator
17th Dec 2011
wavey davey
17th Dec 2011
cliddell Silver Member
05th Jan 2012
wavey davey
06th Jan 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 15-Dec-11 06:48 PM
25571 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D40 problem in hot hot heat"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Dave,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
First check to make sure that you didn't inadvertently dial in positive exposure compensation.
Make sure that the lens is fully seated and locked in the camera.

If none of the above work, try resetting the camera.
If a reset doesn't work, the camera will require service
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 17-Dec-11 12:36 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D40 problem in hot hot heat"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

I've occasionally had an issue with a single black picture for no apparent reason on my D40 but it never was a repeatable problem and I never had the error message telling me to press the shutter again. I don't think the heat is the issue unless you've had the camera sitting in the direct sunlight. In Arizona, I've never had an issue with high heat and I've shot in 45+ weather many times. I'd try the reset and make sure the lens is seated properly or try a different lens to see if the problem is in the camera or if it follows the lens.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

wavey davey Registered since 30th Oct 2011Sat 17-Dec-11 07:48 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D40 problem in hot hot heat"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Checked different lenses and that they are fitted correctly. Checked for extra exposure added in. It seems to have semi corrected itself after 2 days in an air conditioned room. No error messages now but still having to use a much slower shutter speed than i normally would to get good results.

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Thu 05-Jan-12 06:18 PM
992 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D40 problem in hot hot heat"
In response to Reply # 3

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

We have 32C and over temperatures every day during Summer so I am sure it isn't that. However I am wondering if your camera is possibly being affected by high humidity or other moisture.

This is exacerbated by moving the camera out of air conditioned space into high humidity outdoors. Placing the colder camera into a plastic bag while its temperature equalises with the warm outdoors is a way to avoid condensation in or on the camera.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

wavey davey Registered since 30th Oct 2011Fri 06-Jan-12 06:43 PM
#5. "RE: D40 problem in hot hot heat"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Think it could be the humidity issue that affected it.

Back in the cold, wet UK now and it seems to be working fine, albeit with some dust / dirt / muck in the lenses!

I did have it in a Lowe pro camera bag, but boy, it was hot n humid!

Thanks for the help and advice.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44021 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.