Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44008
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon Quick Charger MH-23 and Nikon Battery EL-9" Previous topic | Next topic
searchlight52 Registered since 04th Dec 2011Thu 08-Dec-11 01:06 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon Quick Charger MH-23 and Nikon Battery EL-9"

US

I purchased a used Nikon D40 that came with charger and battery.

Since the battery was somewhat low, I charged it. The light on the charger started to blink, then after two hours, went out completely.

I then charged a new Lenmar battery that I bought as a spare. I inserted it into the charger. The light start to blink, then after a period of time, the charger light remained steady amber which according to the manual, means it is fully charged.

Does the fact that the amber light on the charger extinguishes when I charge the Nikon original battery mean that there is something wrong with the battery?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 08-Dec-11 01:47 AM
25558 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon Quick Charger MH-23 and Nikon Battery EL-9"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Marc,

I couldn't find a Manual for the MH-23 charger. I checked the Manual for the MH-18 charger which states that if the light goes Off with the battery inserted: Stop Recharging the battery immediately and disconnect the charger. As you suspected indicates a bad battery.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

DaveWooster Registered since 10th Nov 2012Sat 23-Feb-13 08:23 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon Quick Charger MH-23 and Nikon Battery EL-9"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 23-Feb-13 08:49 PM by DaveWooster

Topeka, US

Marc, Marty and all,

I tried two Promaster replacements for an EN-EL9/A. The "good" one caused my MH-23 charger's light to blink; I then took it off the charger because the battery belonged to someone else. The "bad" one never lit the light in any way. (I have a way to test for bad, lithium ion batteries with my standard multi-meter.)

So I tend to concur with Marty that Marc should conclude that his first battery is probably bad. And like Marty, I could find no instruction sheet on the charger; but in the D60 User's Manual it says on pages 16-17, that the light blinks while charging and then "stops blinking" when charging is complete. (My MH-23 seems to work just like my Nikon MH-53 charger.)

Marc, your charger is number MH-23, right? And Lenmar replacements for Nikons can go bad, too. (DAMHIH)

DaveWooster Registered since 10th Nov 2012Tue 26-Feb-13 08:15 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon Quick Charger MH-23 and Nikon Battery EL-9"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 26-Feb-13 08:37 PM by DaveWooster

Topeka, US

Correction: My MH-53 charger signals that a battery is bad by blinking more rapidly than the ususal, slower blinking that it uses to signal normal charging. (The MH-23 seems to signal a bad battery by instead turning its amber light off.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Referenced post here that stands corrected:

>Marc, Marty and all,
> (My MH-23 seems to work just like my
>Nikon MH-53 charger.)

...but in the D60 User's Manual it says on pages 16-17, that ...
>
>Marc, your charger is number MH-23, right? ...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I also found a quote about the manual for the "Nikon Quick Charger MH-23". Here it is: "The documentation is in your D60 user manual on page 16 and 17."

Referenced page from elsewhere: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091002105828AAPZKhg

Alfred70 Registered since 12th Dec 2012Sun 24-Mar-13 04:39 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon Quick Charger MH-23 and Nikon Battery EL-9"
In response to Reply # 0

San Antonio, US

I have two MH-23 chargers and three EN-EL9 batteries for my D40x and D60 cameras. Every time I charge the batteries, the amber light blinks at a cycle rate slightly longer than one second during the charge. When the charge is complete, the amber light stays on without blinking. I never experienced charging a faulty battery so I don't know what the true indication would be for a bad battery.

Al

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44008 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.