nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44000
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D40 VR Lenses, Meter Over Exposure, SD Card" Previous topic | Next topic
searchlight52 Registered since 04th Dec 2011Sun 04-Dec-11 06:36 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D40 VR Lenses, Meter Over Exposure, SD Card"

US

I recently purchased a used D40 in Mint condition with the kit lens 18-55, not with VR.

I have three questions.

If I were to purchase a Nikon lens with this feature, would I be able to use the Vibration Reduction feature with the D40.

Secondly, I updated the firmware to the latest A1.12/B1.11. Does anyone know if this firmware addressed the meter Overexposure problem that Ken Rockwell and others allude, or to get the best results, should I set it to 0.7 like he recommends?

Finally, what is the maximum SD card capacity that the camera can handle? A friend gave me a PNY 8GB Pro card as a gift. Would this work, and does anyone have experience with this type of card?

Thanks for your answers.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D40 VR Lenses, Meter Over Exposure, SD Card
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
04th Dec 2011
Diane Vancouver
05th Dec 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
05th Dec 2011
searchlight52
05th Dec 2011
bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources
06th Dec 2011
searchlight52
08th Dec 2011
08th Dec 2011
searchlight52
08th Dec 2011
08th Dec 2011
searchlight52
08th Dec 2011
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
08th Dec 2011
rectangularimage Silver Member
12th Dec 2011

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 04-Dec-11 08:55 PM
26977 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D40 VR Lenses, Meter Over Exposure, SD Card"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Marc,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D40.

>If I were to purchase a Nikon lens with this feature, would I
>be able to use the Vibration Reduction feature with the D40.

Yes! All Nikon DSLR's including the D40 fully support VR.

>Secondly, I updated the firmware to the latest A1.12/B1.11.
>Does anyone know if this firmware addressed the meter
>Overexposure problem that Ken Rockwell and others allude, or
>to get the best results, should I set it to 0.7 like he
>recommends?

I take everything that KR writes with a grain of salt!
His number one proirity is to increase traffic to his site which increases his income. I have not noticed an overexposure issue with the D40 or any other Nikon DSLR that was not a resu;t of User error. That said, my expierience with the D40 is limited compared to other bodies.

>Finally, what is the maximum SD card capacity that the camera
>can handle? A friend gave me a PNY 8GB Pro card as a gift.
>Would this work, and does anyone have experience with this
>type of card?

The D40 User Manual lists Sandisk, and Panisonic Memory cards up to 4GB and Tosheba and Lexar cards up to 2GB as Approved. I suspect that your 8GB card should work without any problems.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Diane Vancouver Registered since 15th Jul 2010Mon 05-Dec-11 02:21 AM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D40 VR Lenses, Meter Over Exposure, SD Card"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

I have a D40 and don't notice the over exposure either.

I use a SanDisk SDHC (2) 8 GB in my D40 with no problems. Be sure to format the card (delete old photos after you have copied them to your computer) inside the camera rather than any other way.

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Mon 05-Dec-11 09:18 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D40 VR Lenses, Meter Over Exposure, SD Card"
In response to Reply # 1

Yorkshire, UK

>should I set it to 0.7
Normally no
You only apply exposure compensation to all images (what is being suggested) if you are getting consistent exposure issues with your equipment shooting the subjects you shoot.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

searchlight52 Registered since 04th Dec 2011Mon 05-Dec-11 03:02 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D40 VR Lenses, Meter Over Exposure, SD Card"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks to all who replied so far.

The dilemma is that Ken Rockwell, as he owns and highly recommends the D40, makes certain recommendations to get the best use out of the camera.

Based on what you are all saying, it seems that there is a disagreement with his recommendations. In other words, the consensus here seems to be leave the camera at its default settings, as opposed to KR's Customized settings.

Although I understand what all of you suggest, I understand what he is saying, and this makes everything confusing.

Which method would be better?

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Tue 06-Dec-11 07:08 AM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D40 VR Lenses, Meter Over Exposure, SD Card"
In response to Reply # 4

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

Marc,

As my parents would have said "you can't teach experience."

I strongly suggest you disregard KR and start with normal settings.
His preferences may have to do with his subject matter or shooting style, not yours.

Bill

Visit me at My site

searchlight52 Registered since 04th Dec 2011Thu 08-Dec-11 02:08 AM
#6. "RE: Nikon D40 VR Lenses, Meter Over Exposure, SD Card"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I just purchased the Magic Lantern Guide to the D40, and the author Simon Stafford also mentions that the meter in the D40 tends to overexpose.

I guess there is some credence to what KR is saying but I am amazed at the wide range of opinions.

I guess it all boils down to personal preference in regard to settings and how the final image appears to the individual.

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Thu 08-Dec-11 03:00 AM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon D40 VR Lenses, Meter Over Exposure, SD Card"
In response to Reply # 6

Marc,

I don't think anyone can dissuade you, but I'm not aware of any Nikon DSLR that has metering which overexposes; in fact quite the contrary.
Of the 8 cameras that Nikonians and I have tested all but the D70/D70S would tend to underexpose, if anything.
Based on raw data and assuming 18% metering the D40 at ISO 200 meters as if it were at ISO 265; so it collects less light, not more.
That's about .4 EV of headroom.

Overexposure has been a very common complaint over the years.
It's common for scenes with high dynamic range, including those with small areas that are bright, to require negative exposure compensation.

Metering, even Matrix metering, is not so smart that it relieves the photographer from the ultimate responsibility for ensuring a correct exposure.

Bill

Visit me at My site

searchlight52 Registered since 04th Dec 2011Thu 08-Dec-11 05:21 AM
#8. "RE: Nikon D40 VR Lenses, Meter Over Exposure, SD Card"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>Marc,
>
>I don't think anyone can dissuade you, but I'm not aware of
>any Nikon DSLR that has metering which overexposes; in fact
>quite the contrary.
>Of the 8 cameras that Nikonians and I have tested all but the
>D70/D70S would tend to underexpose, if anything.
>Based on raw data and assuming 18% metering the D40 at ISO 200
>meters as if it were at ISO 265; so it collects less light,
>not more.
>That's about .4 EV of headroom.
>
>Overexposure has been a very common complaint over the years.
>It's common for scenes with high dynamic range, including
>those with small areas that are bright, to require negative
>exposure compensation.
>
>Metering, even Matrix metering, is not so smart that it
>relieves the photographer from the ultimate responsibility for
>ensuring a correct exposure.
>
>
>Bill
>

Bill,

I am not trying to be persuaded or dissuaded but I find it odd that two experienced photographers claim that this camera exhibits this tendency, and others claim it does not, and to just use the normal settings without compensation.

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Thu 08-Dec-11 05:43 AM
#9. "RE: Nikon D40 VR Lenses, Meter Over Exposure, SD Card"
In response to Reply # 8

Marc,

Admittedly I haven't read their statements but I don't know any photographer who hasn't overexposed an image; and none of the experienced photographers that I trust blamed the camera.

Finis,
Bill

Visit me at My site

searchlight52 Registered since 04th Dec 2011Thu 08-Dec-11 03:18 PM
#10. "RE: Nikon D40 VR Lenses, Meter Over Exposure, SD Card"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I was just looking to see whether there are settings that people use, who know the camera well, that deliver optimal results a good percentage of the time.

Based on the comments of Ken Rockwell and Simon Stafford, I used those as reference but there seems to be disagreement here as to whether they are true for most users.

I guess I may have to experiment myself.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 08-Dec-11 07:18 PM
26977 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon D40 VR Lenses, Meter Over Exposure, SD Card"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Hi Marc,

>I guess I may have to experiment myself.

Exactly!
You Should use the settings that work best for you.
Not the settings that work best fo KR, Bill, or Me.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

rectangularimage Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Oct 2009Mon 12-Dec-11 01:09 AM
1116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon D40 VR Lenses, Meter Over Exposure, SD Card"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 12-Dec-11 02:29 AM by rectangularimage

San Diego, US

>Overexposure problem that Ken Rockwell and others allude, or
>to get the best results, should I set it to 0.7 like he
>recommends?

I've found that to be usually the case for me (I know many here disagree).

You can easily home in on the exposure comp that works for you, whenever there's a static scene you want a picture of, to simply take one shot with no exposure comp, one with -0.3 comp (one click to the right), and one with -0.7 comp (2 clicks to the right). After examining a number of shots bracketed this way on a computer and you'll get an idea of what exposure comp works for you in different situations.

I usually like the ones with -0.3 or -0.7 exposure compensation. But it depends on the subject, there's no single ideal exposure comp that works in all cases.

...Mike

My website | My Nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44000 Previous topic | Next topic