Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44
View in linear mode

Subject: "D50, RAW and photoshop CS2" Previous topic | Next topic
bernie76 Basic MemberFri 28-Oct-05 10:09 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50, RAW and photoshop CS2"

San Diego, US

I wanted to look through old posts to see if this had been discussed before, but I guess the server crash wiped out the archives, so here goes:

I'm interested in upgrading my photoshop to CS2, which I understand now supports D50 RAW files. I thought I read somehere that there were still some issues with D50 RAW files, but I could be wrong.
My question is "is anybody using CS2 with the D50, and how is your experience so far? Are the files fully supported? Any problems?
I really don't have to much experience using RAW files. I have used Picture project to import RAW from the D50, but of course I have to change them to jpeg to bring them into PS 7. I find this is a higher quality jpeg than importing D50 jpeg files directly, but it would be nice to not have to do this extra step.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Some people are like slinky toys, not
really good for anything, but still bring
a smile to your face when you push
them down a flight of stairs....

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D50, RAW and photoshop CS2
AristonCC
28th Oct 2005
paizhao
29th Oct 2005
bernie76
29th Oct 2005
AristonCC
30th Oct 2005
paizhao
30th Oct 2005
AristonCC
30th Oct 2005
paizhao
30th Oct 2005

AristonCC Registered since 28th Oct 2005Fri 28-Oct-05 10:45 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D50, RAW and photoshop CS2"
In response to Reply # 0

Highland, US

I had actually just asked this question in the post above, but I have found an answer!

There is an update the Camera RAW plugin for CS2 that allows you to open NEF files created by the D50. If you have CS2 go here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3068

The link is for the Mac version of CS2 (not sure why you'd have Windows). But I just updated the Camera RAW plugin and was able to open the NEF files I created. Looks like I get to go back to shooting RAW!!!

Ariston Collander
http://www.aristonphotography.com
Living History Events and Costume Portraiture

paizhao Basic MemberSat 29-Oct-05 06:59 AM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50, RAW and photoshop CS2"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I've been working with D50 NEF files and CS2 for months without problems. The only issue with the D50's version of RAW is the white balance encryption. Supposedly the Camera Raw 3.2 update allows CS2 to read the encrypted WB info. The WB does appear to be more accurate with version 3.2 as compared to 3.1 of Camera Raw.

--
Ed

--
Ed
http://paizhao.everythingec.com

bernie76 Basic MemberSat 29-Oct-05 06:42 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D50, RAW and photoshop CS2"
In response to Reply # 2

San Diego, US

Thanks very much! This is what I wanted to hear.

Scott

Scott

Some people are like slinky toys, not
really good for anything, but still bring
a smile to your face when you push
them down a flight of stairs....

AristonCC Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sun 30-Oct-05 01:47 AM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D50, RAW and photoshop CS2"
In response to Reply # 3

Highland, US

Hey Ed,

I just recently started working more with RAW files, and noticed that when I Save for Web... in CS2, I lose pretty much all of the vibrance from the image compared to when it was in RAW. Is this because of the compression or am I missing some sort of setting? For example, I took some photos today of my son in his Gymboree class. I made some adjustments while it was in RAW format (more just trying things since I'm still a complete newbie when it comes to post-processing), and when I save to a JPEG, pretty much all of the color was drained out...it was almost as if I had shot in black and white or something. Am I missing something? Is there an alternative way to save from NEF to JPG so I can at least keep the color detail?

Ariston Collander

paizhao Basic MemberSun 30-Oct-05 04:50 AM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D50, RAW and photoshop CS2"
In response to Reply # 4

CA

Hey Ariston,

It sounds like a colorspace issue. Depending on what you are planning to use the photo for, you will need to decide whether to make it sRGB or Adobe RGB. If you're displaying it for the web, you'll want to convert it to sRGB. Once you're done postprocessing and ready to save to jpg, click on Edit, Convert to Profile. Check the Source Space. It probably says Adobe RGB (1998). Under Destination Space, select sRGB and click OK. Go ahead and save as jpg. You should be good.

--
Ed

--
Ed

AristonCC Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sun 30-Oct-05 05:26 PM
#6. "RE: D50, RAW and photoshop CS2"
In response to Reply # 5

Highland, US

Ed,

That does look much better. Would it be better to just do a "Save As..." and select JPEG instead of "Save for Web..."

Thanks again!

Ariston Collander

paizhao Basic MemberSun 30-Oct-05 06:47 PM
#7. "RE: D50, RAW and photoshop CS2"
In response to Reply # 6

CA

No problem. I'm glad to hear it. I would definitely recommend using Save As instead of Save for Web. The latter, I believe, will reduce the range of colours available. Not a good thing if you plan on printing them. Also, Save for Web will discard the EXIF info.

--
Ed

--
Ed

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.