Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43978
View in linear mode

Subject: "should i upgrade." Previous topic | Next topic
beachpops Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2011Tue 15-Nov-11 07:26 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"should i upgrade."

Coconut Creek, US

Reading all these great post made my decsion little bit easier.I was wondering whether or not to upgrade from my d50 to a d5100.I use a tamron 50-200 lense all the time and get great pics.so i was thinking of getting a nikon 70-300 for better close ups,then someone said to get the tamron 18-270,but after reading reviews decide not to.So since i am 70 yrs old and $$$ come into play and reading all post about keeping their d40's and 60's etc i think i will keep the d50 and get the nikon lense's.I shott grandkids sports and mostly wildlife in fla.everglades and state parks.But i still would appreciate any comments form the nikonians.thanks Beachpops

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Tue 15-Nov-11 01:58 PM
14343 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: should i upgrade."
In response to Reply # 0

Berwyn Heights, US

First, consider if your current D50 is doing everything you need or if there is some functionality or performance you're missing. After that, the best way to upgrade in terms of image quality is with lenses. Your current 50-200 is a good lens and plenty sharp for most people. Remember, some differences in lens performance is really only noticeable with intricate lab tests and results. That said, upscale lenses offer tangible benefits such as faster apertures for better low light shooting and better performance in the corners or with handling distortion. The also tend to have sturdier construction for heavier use. These are all attributes that have varying degrees of importance depending on your level, shooting style and how much you shoot.

Again, your D50 and 50-200 combo is perfectly capable of outstanding results. If you want to get closer and taking a few steps is not an option, the 70-300 VR is a nice choice. I have it and use it for paid jobs. A lens like the 18-270 or something similar is certainly convenient, but extreme zooms do make some optical compromises that may or may not be important to you.

Also, all digital images benefit from some careful and skillful post-processing, so that's becoming adept at that is another way to improve your results. At the end of the day, the responsibility for image quality falls directly on the user.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Wed 16-Nov-11 02:27 AM
2754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: should i upgrade."
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I have a D50 and a D300. I still use my D50 a lot, and for most purposes you couldn't tell which camera took the photo. Sure, the D300 is a better camera, and in some situations that pays off. But most of the time, either camera will work just as well. So I'd say that unless you're running into a situation where you notice shortcomings in the camera, you should just keep the camera you have. And don't feel like you're compromising, because except in very demanding situations, you're not.

Randy

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Fri 25-Nov-11 08:26 PM
4850 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: should i upgrade."
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

Still love my D50 and wouldn't part with it...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Matthew Gregory Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2011Tue 29-Nov-11 12:23 PM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: should i upgrade."
In response to Reply # 3

Glenwood, US

If the camera mechanically does everything you want it to, there likely is no need to upgrade.

A friend of mine that owns lots more Nikon glass than I do graciously allows me to borrow them when I wish. Good glass positively transforms the camera, proving why most guys here tell you to spend every last dime on glass!!!!

Buy the best lens you can afford, and remember that the lens is darn near forever - worth investing in.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43978 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.