nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need to upgrade from my d40 and need help

Saltine_Warrior

US
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Saltine_Warrior Registered since 01st Nov 2011
Tue 01-Nov-11 08:27 PM

Hi all,

I have been using my D40 for a few years now and the last few times I have used it I discovered that I have a hot pixel, with a trailing red line through the middle of the image. It is quite obvious at iso 800 and completely ruins the photo at iso 1600. Through my research I have come to the conclusion that my sensor has gone bad. So instead of sending it back to nikon I think I will be upgrading.

I am torn between the D90 and the D7000. I take mostly landscape shots, but occassionaly I like to shoot macro, wildlife, sporting events, street photography and low light images (whether in a forest, sunset, indoors, etc.) I generally use a 18-200 Vrii lens as my trusty walk-about. I do have a tonika 11-16 wide-angle and the kit 18-55. The reason I want to upgrade to a more sophisticated camera body and not just a 3100 is the more pro feel (distinct controls for certain things, better high iso noise, better mega pixels for cropping and printing, bracketing, better AF system and better viewfinder- on the D7000)

I could get a refurbushed D90 for around the same price as a new D5100, but certain controls in the D5100 are still buried in menus and while it has the better sensor it also has gimmicks that i don't need (articulating lcd)and I am not sure it is the more well built camera that will afford me room to grow as the d90 will. I could go for the latest and greatest and buy up to the D7000, but A)I don't care about video which seems to be a huge thing, and B)I am concerend that it will be too cumbersome and heavy to walk around all day shooting with as I have relatively small hands.

So, should I buy the cheaper D90 and hone my skills before investing in whatever D7000 replacement will come along in the next few years or just go for the new tech? I am really torn but need to pull the trigger fairly quick or there may not be any D7000's left to get if that's what I choose to purchase. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
SW

G