nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need to upgrade from my d40 and need help

Saltine_Warrior

US
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Saltine_Warrior Registered since 01st Nov 2011
Tue 01-Nov-11 08:27 PM

Hi all,

I have been using my D40 for a few years now and the last few times I have used it I discovered that I have a hot pixel, with a trailing red line through the middle of the image. It is quite obvious at iso 800 and completely ruins the photo at iso 1600. Through my research I have come to the conclusion that my sensor has gone bad. So instead of sending it back to nikon I think I will be upgrading.

I am torn between the D90 and the D7000. I take mostly landscape shots, but occassionaly I like to shoot macro, wildlife, sporting events, street photography and low light images (whether in a forest, sunset, indoors, etc.) I generally use a 18-200 Vrii lens as my trusty walk-about. I do have a tonika 11-16 wide-angle and the kit 18-55. The reason I want to upgrade to a more sophisticated camera body and not just a 3100 is the more pro feel (distinct controls for certain things, better high iso noise, better mega pixels for cropping and printing, bracketing, better AF system and better viewfinder- on the D7000)

I could get a refurbushed D90 for around the same price as a new D5100, but certain controls in the D5100 are still buried in menus and while it has the better sensor it also has gimmicks that i don't need (articulating lcd)and I am not sure it is the more well built camera that will afford me room to grow as the d90 will. I could go for the latest and greatest and buy up to the D7000, but A)I don't care about video which seems to be a huge thing, and B)I am concerend that it will be too cumbersome and heavy to walk around all day shooting with as I have relatively small hands.

So, should I buy the cheaper D90 and hone my skills before investing in whatever D7000 replacement will come along in the next few years or just go for the new tech? I am really torn but need to pull the trigger fairly quick or there may not be any D7000's left to get if that's what I choose to purchase. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
SW

G