Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43962
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need to upgrade from my d40 and need help" Previous topic | Next topic
Saltine_Warrior Registered since 01st Nov 2011Tue 01-Nov-11 08:27 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Need to upgrade from my d40 and need help"

US

Hi all,

I have been using my D40 for a few years now and the last few times I have used it I discovered that I have a hot pixel, with a trailing red line through the middle of the image. It is quite obvious at iso 800 and completely ruins the photo at iso 1600. Through my research I have come to the conclusion that my sensor has gone bad. So instead of sending it back to nikon I think I will be upgrading.

I am torn between the D90 and the D7000. I take mostly landscape shots, but occassionaly I like to shoot macro, wildlife, sporting events, street photography and low light images (whether in a forest, sunset, indoors, etc.) I generally use a 18-200 Vrii lens as my trusty walk-about. I do have a tonika 11-16 wide-angle and the kit 18-55. The reason I want to upgrade to a more sophisticated camera body and not just a 3100 is the more pro feel (distinct controls for certain things, better high iso noise, better mega pixels for cropping and printing, bracketing, better AF system and better viewfinder- on the D7000)

I could get a refurbushed D90 for around the same price as a new D5100, but certain controls in the D5100 are still buried in menus and while it has the better sensor it also has gimmicks that i don't need (articulating lcd)and I am not sure it is the more well built camera that will afford me room to grow as the d90 will. I could go for the latest and greatest and buy up to the D7000, but A)I don't care about video which seems to be a huge thing, and B)I am concerend that it will be too cumbersome and heavy to walk around all day shooting with as I have relatively small hands.

So, should I buy the cheaper D90 and hone my skills before investing in whatever D7000 replacement will come along in the next few years or just go for the new tech? I am really torn but need to pull the trigger fairly quick or there may not be any D7000's left to get if that's what I choose to purchase. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
SW

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 01-Nov-11 09:11 PM
4331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Need to upgrade from my d40 and need help"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

As the upgrade to the D90, the D7000 has the improved sensor and AF system and other tech, as well as the new features -- like video -- that you might not use. Since the D7000 "just came out" and since Nikon tends to run a four year cycle, the Asian production problems will just make that schedule longer. My vote would be to get the D7000 while you can and use it to its full potential for many years to come.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Thu 03-Nov-11 01:25 AM
2721 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Need to upgrade from my d40 and need help"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Tough question, because they are both very capable cameras. If it were me, I'd get the D7000. But if money's tight, the less-expensive D90 is a good choice too.

Randy

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 04-Nov-11 09:36 AM
25898 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Need to upgrade from my d40 and need help"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Laurence,

Welcome to Nikonians!
If the D7000 fits in your budget, I would pull the trigger.
Since you shoot at high ISO settings, the additional high ISO performance of the D7000 will be very helpful in low light situations.
The D7000 is not that much larger or heavier than the D90 as to be a burden over time.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Tina Mahannah Registered since 09th Apr 2011Sun 13-Nov-11 11:27 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Need to upgrade from my d40 and need help"
In response to Reply # 0

Frelighsburg, CA

SW, I was just wondering what you decided because I am in a simular position. I do not take many night photos but am interested in Macro, landscapes, seascapes and birds. If you decided on the D90 what do you think and if you decided on the D7000, is it better than you expected or worse?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43962 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.