Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43926
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lens" Previous topic | Next topic
Joeypotter3 Registered since 24th Oct 2011Mon 24-Oct-11 10:02 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lens"

GB

Hey everyone

I have a D40 and am after a new lens!

My current 55-200mm 1:4.-5.6GED is making terrible squeaking noises and wont focus but regardless of that Im looking for a lens that has a wide angle as well as that sort of length.

Any pointers in the right direction would be most helpful.

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lens
ironwoodphoto
24th Oct 2011
Joeypotter3
24th Oct 2011
MEMcD Moderator
25th Oct 2011
     Reply message Thanks
Joeypotter3
26th Oct 2011
          Reply message RE: Thanks
jmiguez Silver Member
26th Oct 2011
ironwoodphoto
28th Oct 2011
jmiguez Silver Member
25th Oct 2011
Joeypotter3
25th Oct 2011
jmiguez Silver Member
25th Oct 2011
briantilley Moderator
25th Oct 2011
jmiguez Silver Member
26th Oct 2011
Joeypotter3
26th Oct 2011
MEMcD Moderator
26th Oct 2011

ironwoodphoto Registered since 25th Jul 2011Mon 24-Oct-11 11:38 AM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

It sounds like you are looking for a lens that is something like an 18-300 or something around that length.

Nikon,Sigma,Tamron all have lens with that sort of range.

Nikon has an 18-200 f3.5~5.6G ED VR11 lens or a 28-300 f3.5~5.6G ED VR lens.
New ones are not cheap, so check somewhere like B&H for used ones if you want to save a few bucks.

Tony

Tony

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Joeypotter3 Registered since 24th Oct 2011Mon 24-Oct-11 05:08 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lens"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Hi Tony

Thanks so much for that. Ive seen one 2nd hand for £350. I think this is quite good but have no idea what all the numbers and letters mean? (photography course starts in Jan!)

Is this wide angled with a long angle lens? I really dont know?...

Nikon 18-200MM F3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX

Thanks

Angie

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 25-Oct-11 03:02 AM
25010 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lens"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Joey,

Welcome to Nikonians!

>I think this is quite good but have no idea what all the numbers
>and letters mean? (photography course starts in Jan!)
>
>Is this wide angled with a long angle lens? I really don't
>know?...

Yes! 18mm is wide angle and 200mm is telephoto (narrow FoV)

>Nikon 18-200MM F3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX

18-200mm - Focal length of the lens. The smaller the focal length the wider the Field of View(wide angle). The longer the focal length, narrower the FoV (telephoto).

f/3.5-5.6 - Aperture the smaller the f/# the larger the aperture the more light will pass through the lens. The higher the f/#, the smaller the aperture the less light passes through the lens.

G - No Aperture ring

IF - Internal Focusing

ED - Extra Low Dispersion Glass

AF-S - Silent Wave Motor for focusing built into the lens.

VR - Vibration Reduction

DX - The lens is designed to be used on camera bodies with DX sized sensors.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Joeypotter3 Registered since 24th Oct 2011Wed 26-Oct-11 11:14 AM
#11. "Thanks"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Thanks for your posts Marty. I understand now from reading your's and Johns posts why I am after the unobtainable! Still liking that lens I saw though, seems like a bargain!

Thanks

Angie

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Wed 26-Oct-11 11:36 AM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Thanks"
In response to Reply # 11

Lafayette, US

>Thanks for your posts Marty. I understand now from reading
>your's and Johns posts why I am after the unobtainable! Still
>liking that lens I saw though, seems like a bargain!
>
>Thanks
>
>Angie

Oops! Sorry Angie. I didn't notice your signature on the bottom of an earlier thread.

The 18-200 lens IS a good lens. As I mentioned above, I love mine and use it whenever I have need of a single all-in -one lens. Just be aware of the occasional focusing issue with the D40. Again, it is something you can easily overcome.

I have the earlier version of that lens the VR. The newer version is the VRII and it is supposed to be a little sharper and quicker on the autofocus. I haven't seen any problems with sharpness or AF speed with mine. You may find a deal on a used 18-200 VR.

You may also want to look into the Tamron and Sigma versions of those lenses. They will be a couple hundred dollars cheaper and on a D40, I doubt you can tell the difference in image quality? I have the 17-50 mm f/2.8 Sigma lens. I use that lens 90% of the time on my D7000 and absolutely love the lens. Read up info on them in the Non-Nikon Lens forum.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

ironwoodphoto Registered since 25th Jul 2011Fri 28-Oct-11 07:07 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Lens"
In response to Reply # 2

CA

>Hi Tony
>
>Thanks so much for that. Ive seen one 2nd hand for £350. I
>think this is quite good but have no idea what all the numbers
>and letters mean? (photography course starts in Jan!)
>
>Is this wide angled with a long angle lens? I really dont
>know?...
>
>Nikon 18-200MM F3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX
>
>Thanks
>
>Angie

Hello Angie,

Sorry to take so long to answer
Basically this lens goes from wide angle (18) to Telephoto (200)it has a medium aperture range of f3.5 to F5.6. The 3.5 would be at 18 MM and the 5.6 would be at 200MM. It will vary between the 2 depending on the MM is set on the lens

I think if you look around you can probably find a good lens for less than 350 quid.

My recomendation for now is to use this lens until you have dome some lessons and you will be in a better position to decide.

You can save money on Ebay, but be cautious where you buy from.

Tony

Tony

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Tue 25-Oct-11 12:53 PM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Lafayette, US

Hi Joey, Welcome to Nikonians. I have a D-40 and a D7000. I will use the D40 as a back up or put a telephoto lens like Nikons 70-200 F/2.8 VR lens on it and the 17-50 mm (wide angle to normal lens) on the D7000.

The first lens I bought for my D40 was the Nikon 18-200 VR lens, mentioned above in another post. I loved this lens with the D40. It was a single all-in-one lens. The one caveat I can offer with this lens is that sometimes when the contrast is low you can have trouble getting this lens to autofocus on the D40. Until I purchased the D7000 I sometimes wondered, if something was wrong with the lens? After getting the D7000 and not having a single issue with it focusing, I realized it was the D40's lesser ability to focus in low contrast, rather than the lens.

I say this not to scare you away from the the 18-200 VR. It is a wonderful lens for an all-in-one walk around lens. I still use it with my D7000. Just be aware that the D40 with its three point focus system can have occasional issues focusing with some lenses. You can easily go to manual or shift the focus point and move back once the lens locks into focus, all the while holding the shutter button half way down.

If the 18-200 VR is too expensive for you, look into another 50-200 and the 18-55 kit lens. These lenses are very good with the D40. Together, they will provide you with a 90% or better need range.

Another good option is the 18-105 kit lens that comes with many camera bodies. You can often pick one up for a deal from someone who has upgraded. My wife will sometime use this lens on the D40. She loves the combo.

Lastly, someone already mentioned the 70-300. I don't own this lens. However, I have read many many good things about the lens. It is considered by many pros and amateurs alike as one of the best lens deals Nikon offers. If you get it, still look into the 18-55 lens. Not having a lens in this range is like trying to walk with only one leg.

Just be aware that with the D40 you need to use AF-S lens, if you want auto focus. Some older lenses use a screw drive focusing system. These lenses will not auto focus on the D40. However, they will focus manually.

Good shooting!

John

Joeypotter3 Registered since 24th Oct 2011Tue 25-Oct-11 05:26 PM
#5. "RE: Lens"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Thankyou for you posts. Im being a bit thick Im sure but having looked at the suggested lens Im a tad confused, cause none of then look very wide. Im wondering if I am looking for something that doesnt exsist.

I have a 18-55 on the camera at the moment and not liking it at all. Both my lens, this one and my defunct 55-200 are great, the latter giving the kind of zoom Im looking for. However, neither of them are wide enough.

Im an observer photographer rather than an up close and asking for smiles. I like to be away from the action and capturing people from afar. This is where my 55-200 fails me really, cause yes great to get close up, but I really want a bit more around the subject not just a tight image.

Does that make sense (probably not!)

Thanks muchly

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Tue 25-Oct-11 05:54 PM
#6. "RE: Lens"
In response to Reply # 5

Lafayette, US

Joey, I think I understand what you are asking. If so, then, to use my Mother's phrase, "You want your cake and eat it too." By nature a telephoto lens will only show a narrow sliver of the scene. There are many well written on-line discussions showing the difference between the viewing angles of wide angle (which is why they are called "Wide")and telephoto lenses. Let me try and give a simple visual reference that might explain what happens.

Imagine watching a screen with an image projected from one side to another. It fills the screen. Got it?

Now imagine someone(s) moving that screen toward you and the projector. What happens? The image begins to spill off the sides, doesn't it. You will see less and less of the image as the screen comes toward you. Well, that is what happens in a telephoto lens. In order to magnify the image (bring it closer) it can only show a narrower and narrower slice of the scene as you zoom in.

You can easily test this for yourself. Put the camera on a tripod and take a picture at 55mm. Now without moving the camera, zoom to 70 mm and take the same picture. Now at 100mm, 150mm, and finally at 200mm. Look at the images. You will see less and less of the scene as you zoom the camera. The rest sort of spills off the sides.

Does this help?

John

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 25-Oct-11 06:49 PM
28316 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Lens"
In response to Reply # 6

Paignton, GB

>Imagine watching a screen with an image projected from one
>side to another. It fills the screen. Got it?
>
>Now imagine someone(s) moving that screen toward you and the
>projector. What happens? The image begins to spill off the
>sides, doesn't it. You will see less and less of the image as
>the screen comes toward you.

I see what you're trying to get at, John, but in fact if you move the screen towards the projector, the projected image will fill less of the screen, not overflow it.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Wed 26-Oct-11 10:54 AM
#9. "RE: Lens"
In response to Reply # 7

Lafayette, US

>>Imagine watching a screen with an image projected from
>one
>>side to another. It fills the screen. Got it?
>>
>>Now imagine someone(s) moving that screen toward you and
>the
>>projector. What happens? The image begins to spill off
>the
>>sides, doesn't it. You will see less and less of the image
>as
>>the screen comes toward you.
>
>I see what you're trying to get at, John, but in fact if you
>move the screen towards the projector, the projected image
>will fill less of the screen, not overflow it.

Good point Brian, I would have to make the screen smaller and smaller as I approached the projector. LOL So much for "my" analogies.

Joey, I hope I didn't confuse you?

John

Joeypotter3 Registered since 24th Oct 2011Wed 26-Oct-11 11:11 AM
#10. "RE: Lens"
In response to Reply # 9

GB

Hi John

Nope, you didnt confuse me at all.....it made perfect sense. I understand better when I can visualise things.

Now all I need to do is rob a bank and get a lens! I almost think I will replace with the same one as it has put me in really good stead over the past three years and very reasonably priced.

So much to learn!

Thanks for your time and patience John and everyone. Very much appreciated.

Angie

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 26-Oct-11 06:17 AM
25010 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Lens"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Joey,

>Im being a bit thick Im sure but
>having looked at the suggested lens Im a tad confused, cause
>none of then look very wide. Im wondering if I am looking for
>something that doesnt exsist.

If you are looking for something wider than 18mm that can zoom to 200mm or more, you are correct: No such lens exists.

>I have a 18-55 on the camera at the moment and not liking it
>at all. Both my lens, this one and my defunct 55-200 are
>great, the latter giving the kind of zoom Im looking for.
>However, neither of them are wide enough.

If the wide end (18mm) of your 18-55mm is not wide enough, you are looking for a super wide angle lens like the Nikkor 10-24mm, 12-24mm or one of the third party altenatives. All of the super wide angle zooms have a range from super wide angle (10mm) to wide angle (24mm).

>Im an observer photographer rather than an up close and asking
>for smiles. I like to be away from the action and capturing
>people from afar. This is where my 55-200 fails me really,
>cause yes great to get close up, but I really want a bit more
>around the subject not just a tight image.

If the 55-200mm is too long at 55mm, your 18-55mm should be wide enough for most subjects an any distance from your shooting position.
Super wide angle lenses are often not very flattering to the human form due to the distortion. Much more so at very close distances.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43926 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.