Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43916
View in linear mode

Subject: "Manual mode with a tamron lens with adaptor" Previous topic | Next topic
ironwoodphoto Registered since 25th Jul 2011Sun 23-Oct-11 03:49 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Manual mode with a tamron lens with adaptor"

CA

I was loaned an Adaptall2 convertor for Nikon this weekend and I was trying it out yesterday.
I noticed that when I went to Manual mode, it gave me a shutter speed but the aperture showed as F.

Is this what it is supposed to do? If so, how do I make sure I have the right combination for the picture? Do I need to use an external meter or use the sunny 16 rule instead?

Tks

Tony

Tony

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 23-Oct-11 04:50 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Manual mode with a tamron lens with adaptor"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Have you read pages 96-97 of your D40 manual?

Since the lens adapter is not listed on page 96, it might not be possible.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 23-Oct-11 06:39 PM
3191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Manual mode with a tamron lens with adaptor"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Your lens with the adapter is a manual lens, i.e. non-CPU (no electronics). The lens with work in manual mode, but there is no metering on the D40 or any other body like it. You can "guesstimate" the exposure and use the histogram to fine tune it or use a hand-held meter or "Sunny 16" as you thought. The only camera bodies that will meter would be a D7000 or better (not even sure about that with an Adaptall).

Alan

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 23-Oct-11 09:43 PM
25663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Manual mode with a tamron lens with adaptor"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Tony,

>Is this what it is supposed to do?

Yes! The D40 requires lenses with a CPU in order to provide metering.

>If so, how do I make sure I
>have the right combination for the picture? Do I need to use
>an external meter or use the sunny 16 rule instead?

Yes!
You can also set the exposure by trial & error using the histogram.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ironwoodphoto Registered since 25th Jul 2011Mon 24-Oct-11 11:41 AM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Manual mode with a tamron lens with adaptor"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

>Hi Tony,
>
>>Is this what it is supposed to do?
>
>Yes! The D40 requires lenses with a CPU in order to provide
>metering.
>
>>If so, how do I make sure I
>>have the right combination for the picture? Do I need to
>use
>>an external meter or use the sunny 16 rule instead?
>
>Yes!
>You can also set the exposure by trial & error using the
>histogram.
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!
>
Sounds like a waste of time for now so I'll look for another way to to do Macro shots.
Thank you everyone for your replies.

Tony

Tony

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43916 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.