Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43884
View in linear mode

Subject: "Force the flash on D50" Previous topic | Next topic
PeteinNYC Registered since 04th Oct 2011Wed 05-Oct-11 05:33 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Force the flash on D50"

US

When I push the flash button my my d50 (with the power on and a lens on) nothing happens. I can cycle through the flash modes while pushing the flash button, and the flash does operate as needed.

Is there a way to force the flash while taking a picture with the D50?

Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Force the flash on D50
aolander Silver Member
05th Oct 2011
PeteinNYC
05th Oct 2011
JosephK Silver Member
06th Oct 2011
aolander Silver Member
05th Oct 2011
MEMcD Moderator
06th Oct 2011
PeteinNYC
08th Oct 2011
MEMcD Moderator
11th Oct 2011

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 05-Oct-11 06:19 PM
3305 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Force the flash on D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

I don't quite understand your question. If you push the flash button, the flash will pop up and will flash when you press the shutter release. Does the flash not pop up or what?

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PeteinNYC Registered since 04th Oct 2011Wed 05-Oct-11 06:41 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Force the flash on D50"
In response to Reply # 1

US

aolander, the flash pops up when I take a picture, but not when I push the flash button itself. Thus, I can only keep it from taking a flash, but can't force it to flash. Thanks.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 06-Oct-11 03:17 AM
4660 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Force the flash on D50"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

Sounds like you might be in "auto" or one of the scene modes, where the camera does all the deciding. See if the problem still happens in P, S, A, and M modes.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 05-Oct-11 07:59 PM
3305 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Force the flash on D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Try putting the exposure mode dial to "M", and then press the button. If the flash isn't popping up when you press the flash button, there is probably something wrong with the button.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 06-Oct-11 06:29 AM
26537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Force the flash on D50"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Pete,

The built in flash should pop up when you press the flash button when the camera is in P, S, A, or M exposure modes. If it won't pop up with the camera in P, S, A, or M exposure modes when you press the button, there is a problem with the release mechanism.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

PeteinNYC Registered since 04th Oct 2011Sat 08-Oct-11 06:08 PM
#6. "RE: Force the flash on D50"
In response to Reply # 5

US

That explains it. I thought I could force the flash in AUTO mode. When I set it to P the flash pops right up and flashes on any picture.

Thanks!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 11-Oct-11 04:34 AM
26537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Force the flash on D50"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Pete,

Your welcome.
Glad to help.
In Auto mode the flash button used to open the Speedlight is disabled.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43884 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.