nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Shutter release vs focus mode question on D40

WRider

Terre Haute, US
77 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
WRider Registered since 09th Nov 2008
Mon 26-Sep-11 12:48 AM

I'm transitioning to using the AE-L/AF-L button for focusing (by changing Custom Menu Setting 12 to AF-ON), rather than using the shutter release button. The problem is that unless focus is detected, the shutter won't release.

Thom Hogan's guide tells me that if I select Continuous Servo Focus Mode (AF-C). The shutter should release, even if the focus isn't detected. My D40 does not behave this way. It's not that I'm wanting to take out of focus pictures. I just want to re-compose and put the subject in focus somewhere else in the frame.

Is there some other setting that might be interfering with it operating in the way I want? Or am I doing something else wrong? Seems like I've got it stuck on focus priority some way.

Brad

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Shutter release vs focus mode question on D40

G