Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43855
View in linear mode

Subject: "D50 Sensor" Previous topic | Next topic
philipbaker Registered since 17th Sep 2010Thu 08-Sep-11 03:54 AM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50 Sensor"

Stockport, GB

Could someone please explain to me what elements of the D50 sensor
determine the range between the whitest white and the blackest black
in a single shot and how this changes in the progression through the higher level cameras?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D50 Sensor
blw Moderator
08th Sep 2011
bclaff Silver Member
24th Oct 2011
briantilley Moderator
24th Oct 2011
bclaff Silver Member
25th Oct 2011
MEMcD Moderator
25th Oct 2011

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 08-Sep-11 04:18 AM
26657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: D50 Sensor"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

There's a thing called dynamic range, and each generation of silicon has increased range. More modern sensors nearly always have slightly more DR than earlier ones. This is usually based on a physical property of the sensor design and mostly cannot be controlled. For most sensors I know of, more ISO = less DR, although a newer generation of sensor may be so noiseless that its high ISO may have more DR than an older sensor's base... Right now the sensor with the most DR (at least from Nikon) is the D3s, with the other FX senors packed right behind it.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Mon 24-Oct-11 01:10 AM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50 Sensor"
In response to Reply # 1

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

Brian,

Right now the sensor with the most DR (at least from Nikon) is the D3s

I don't think so.
I think the order listed in my Sensor Characteristics table is approximately correct.
Current models are grouped at the top in bold.

You can expect a plea for more Photographic Dynamic Range results shortly as I'm returning to Nikonians after a 2 1/2 year break.
(You're exempt because I already have D3 numbers and because you use a Mac )

Regards,
Bill

Visit me at My site

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 24-Oct-11 07:56 AM
28922 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D50 Sensor"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

Nice to have you back, Bill

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Tue 25-Oct-11 12:42 AM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D50 Sensor"
In response to Reply # 3

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

Brian,

Thanks!

Cheers!
Bill

Visit me at My site

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 25-Oct-11 01:19 AM
25946 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D50 Sensor"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Bill,

Welcome back!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43855 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.