Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43843
View in linear mode

Subject: "D50 and EV" Previous topic | Next topic
philipbaker Registered since 17th Sep 2010Tue 06-Sep-11 08:09 AM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50 and EV"

Stockport, GB

I recently did a shoot of a Horse Show with a cloudy sky and one shot with the sun breaking through.

For the general scenes the white highlights (ladies whiter than white breeches) with an EV -/+0 were blown out. I stepped down the E/V in -0.5 steps to EV -1.5 until the highlights were no longer blown. The shots where bright white was not the highest light (cream breeches or canvas tents in the background) were not a problem.

This rendered the images rather dark in the review screen but I was able to bring the lightness back up in ViewNX2. Every one needed DS lighting (+about 30-40 did the trick) with a little nudge in the shadow highlight in some cases. These were shot in RAW and only converted to high quality jpeg.

As I am not a tweak freak is there a way that I could have changed
my D50 settings to less of a reliance on post processing?

I have shown 6 images only in my gallery to show the pre-processing
shots with the settings shown for each shot.

Would you please look at those shots and let me have your suggestions
to show what I could have done differently.

Many thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 06-Sep-11 04:55 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D50 and EV"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Did you try the "Cloudy" WB setting in the camera?

If you shoot RAW, then you can change the WB setting easily in post processing with Nikon View NX2 or Nikon Capture NX2 if needed.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

philipbaker Registered since 17th Sep 2010Tue 06-Sep-11 07:43 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50 and EV"
In response to Reply # 1

Stockport, GB

Hi George

Thanks for the response. I try to avoid the WB settings other than "Sunny" as they render the colours too warm or too cool for my taste.

Philip

Bluewaterhooker0 Registered since 31st Jan 2009Wed 07-Sep-11 03:44 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D50 and EV"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa, US

Made some minor adjustments to your shot and reposted. If I were the rider, and or owner of this horse, I wouldn't care too much about "blown highlights". Between the apparently black jacket, and white pants, I think you are exceeding the range of the camera sensor. But I wouldn't get too hung up on the technicalities of the shot, if you come up with a visually and reasonably pleasing photograph of your subject.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 07-Sep-11 09:35 AM
26651 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: D50 and EV"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I agree with Jerry - in a case like this, there's not much you can do to save all the info. These whites are just going to be blown - and moreover, nobody's really looking for detail there anyway. I often have the same problem with white numbers on race cars - let 'em blow out. They still look like numbers. Here it's a tad trickier, but really nobody's expecting to see the details, and hopefully the viewer will be looking elsewhere in an equestrian image anyway.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43843 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.