Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43797
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lens for D50" Previous topic | Next topic
sardinella Registered since 01st Aug 2011Wed 03-Aug-11 06:49 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lens for D50"

MT

I have a D50 with Tamron lens 28-85 mm and would like to upgrade the lens to Nikkor with a fixed aperture at f/2.8. What do you suggest to buy as a mid zoom lens?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Wed 03-Aug-11 09:01 PM
2753 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lens for D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

The 17-55 f2.8 would probably be the best fit. You could also look at the 24-70 f2.8. Those would be your options for new lenses, but you also might be able to find used a 28-70 f2.8 or 35-70 f2.8, which both have good reputations.

Do you need an f2.8 lens? There are some pretty good options that are smaller, lighter, and less expensive if you don't, and you could pair a less expensive zoom with a 35 f1.8 and/or 50 f1.8 when you need the wider aperture. For example, a 16-85 along with 35 f1.8 and 50 f1.8 would cost less than just a 17-55.

Randy

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 04-Aug-11 05:44 AM
26757 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lens for D50"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Mario,

Welcome to Nikonians!
If you want a Nikkor constant aperture f/2.8 zoom, the 17-55mm would be my first choice on a DX body. I have found the 17-55mm to be a much more useful range than the 24-70mm, 28-70mm, or 35-70mm on a DX body. One thing to keep in mind is the 17-55mm is significantly heavier than your D50. Remember that "Fast Glass" is addictive.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

sardinella Registered since 01st Aug 2011Thu 04-Aug-11 04:55 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lens for D50"
In response to Reply # 2

MT

Thanks guys for your help. Yes I think the f/2.8 is a bit too much for me. What I really need is a good lens for poorly lit places such as a church. I get very granulated pics with my Tamron lens 28-85mm because my aperture' maximum at 28mm is 3.5. I want to get the pics right in this church but have not managed yet. I also increased the ISO to 1600 and the black keeping coming granulated and there is no sharpness. I was thinking of buying a good lens for this but maybe the 35mm f/1.8 will do the job or even the 50 mm f/1.8, though I still cannot understand how people get decent pics with Tamron lens mounted on a Nikon like mine.

Thanks.
mario

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 04-Aug-11 07:40 PM
26825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Lens for D50"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

> my aperture' maximum at 28mm is 3.5.

Yep. This is a common misunderstanding. Those fast and expensive f/2.8 zooms are... a half a stop faster than f/3.5. That's the difference between 1/45th and 1/60th in shutter speed! It's good to have that additional speed, but it sure won't change the game.

An f/1.8 might - that's about two stops faster, or 4x the shutter speed. That moves your shutter speed from 1/45th to 1/180th, which is quite a difference.

But...

> I also increased the ISO to 1600 and the black keeping coming granulated and there is no sharpness.

Is the sharpness in the area of focus, or not? If not, no big deal, it's not in focus anyway. If so, the problem isn't the lens - it's your ability to hold the camera still during the long shutter speed. You need either a faster lens, a flash, or a tripod.

> cannot understand how people get decent pics with Tamron lens mounted on a Nikon like mine.

It's nothing to do with Tamron, nor Nikon. It's all about technique and what it can do (and, sometimes, can't). The "granulated" look in the blacks is due to underexposure, and that can be cured in camera. But you may need a tripod for that, and even that only works if the subject isn't moving (much).

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43797 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.