Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43780
View in linear mode

Subject: "d50 Flash Problem" Previous topic | Next topic
ncara Registered since 21st Jul 2011Thu 21-Jul-11 06:45 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"d50 Flash Problem"

US

hi, have had my d50 since they came out (long time ago). recently the flash stopped popping up, and i cannot get it to pop up by manually pushing the flash button. the flash still fires when taking pics and will get that burning plastic smell if it fires too many times. i posted a question on the nikon corporate site but the person who responded said to mail it in to repair service. i would rather save the postage and ask here if someone knows if i can fix it, or how much a repair might cost? thanks ahead for any help.

nick

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: d50 Flash Problem
blw Moderator
22nd Jul 2011
ncara
22nd Jul 2011
MEMcD Moderator
23rd Jul 2011
les w Silver Member
02nd Apr 2013
s2sailorlis_nikon
05th Apr 2013
davidhilos
03rd Oct 2013

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 22-Jul-11 12:56 PM
26540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: d50 Flash Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

You probably can't fix it yourself. It might be something relatively simple, like a broken spring. But even that is not so easy, because you have to open up the camera to replace it. This is a non-trivial effort for most of us, since one slip while it's open will make much more trouble than you can save.

Sending it in is a good idea. It's likely to cost at least $100.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

ncara Registered since 21st Jul 2011Fri 22-Jul-11 12:59 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: d50 Flash Problem"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>You probably can't fix it yourself. It might be something
>relatively simple, like a broken spring. But even that is not
>so easy, because you have to open up the camera to replace it.
> This is a non-trivial effort for most of us, since one slip
>while it's open will make much more trouble than you can
>save.
>
>Sending it in is a good idea. It's likely to cost at least
>$100.

thanks very much, i will send it in. i was worried repair might cost a lot more than that, at which point it might not be worth fixing.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 23-Jul-11 10:37 PM
25556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: d50 Flash Problem"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Nick,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
Nikon Service and Nikon Authorized Service Stations will give you an estimate before they make the repair.
You should know soon enough how much it will cost.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

les w Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2013Tue 02-Apr-13 01:32 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: d50 Flash Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

NZ

Hi I have same problem can you tell me what they fixed

s2sailorlis_nikon Registered since 19th Jun 2012Fri 05-Apr-13 12:39 AM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: d50 Flash Problem"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 05-Apr-13 12:40 AM by s2sailorlis_nikon

US

that post is 2 years old...they are no longer a member....
oo
i think any repair is likely going to end up costing minimum USD$200 including shipping....

better off buying a used flash

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

excuse typos...via iPad....

davidhilos Registered since 02nd Oct 2013Thu 03-Oct-13 09:00 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: d50 Flash Problem"
In response to Reply # 5

SG

This is an old thread but in case someone has the same problem, here's what you can do.

The problem is probably due to stuck lever. The lever is controlled electronically by a seleniod. If you can hear the click-clack sound everytime you want to activate the flash, then it's a stuck lever.
It can be manually activated by sliding a thin plastic or cardboard on the gap of the pop up flash.
Applicable for D40,D50,D60,D70/s,D80,D90

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t97/davidhilos/7-3.jpg

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43780 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.