Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43778
View in linear mode

Subject: "F-- Error" Previous topic | Next topic
seautomotive Registered since 21st Jul 2011Thu 21-Jul-11 10:22 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"F-- Error"

NG

Hi everyone

I have this F-- error on my Nikon D50. I have been to several forums, where I have discovered that it's a problem of communication between the lens and camera body. I have cleaned the contacts on both sides - camera and lens - on several occasions, but unfortunately, this error has gone from intermittent to now being permanent.

I have been in contact with Nikon USA, who have advised me that service is required, and I should send the camera in. I'd like to know if anyone else has encountered this problem, and solved it without sending it away to Nikon. Unfortunately, sending it in will be a little difficult, as I'm located in Nigeria.

Could anyone advise me on how I could proceed?

Thanks

Segun

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberThu 21-Jul-11 06:10 PM
18153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: F-- Error"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Segun, welcome to Nikonians!

What lens are you using with your D50?

If it is a Non-G lens - G lenses do NOT have a manual aperture ring - then the aperture ring must be sent to the smallest aperture. Nikon lenses with an aperture ring have a small sliding lock that will prevent the ring from moving from the smallest aperture (typically f/22).

G lenses will not have this problem (as there is no ring to lock; it is already set to its smallest aperture).

Let us know what lens you have?
Does it only happen with one lens?
Have you tried other lenses?

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

seautomotive Registered since 21st Jul 2011Thu 21-Jul-11 08:55 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: F-- Error"
In response to Reply # 1

NG

Hi Anthony

My lenses are:

AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED
AF Nikkor 70-300MM1:4-5.6G

Both G lenses, so there's no manual aperture ring to lock. I think it's a fault with the camera....

Thanks a lot...

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 21-Jul-11 10:14 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: F-- Error"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

I think if you get the same error with either lens attached then the decision to send the camera body in for repair is a good one. The error could be coming from a lens but to have two defective lenses at about the same time would not be very likely. I hope you can get a fast turn around on the service.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43778 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.