Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43711
View in linear mode

Subject: "D40 - Tried to fix flash, now it won't pop up" Previous topic | Next topic
downwithjaysus Registered since 23rd May 2011Mon 23-May-11 02:26 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D40 - Tried to fix flash, now it won't pop up"
Mon 23-May-11 02:26 PM by downwithjaysus

US

I recently bought a D40. The owner told me the flash didn't work. Looked it up and it's a very easy fix: http://vimeo.com/3141400

Sure enough, my switch looks like the one in the video. I looped the metal back over the post as shown and put the cover back on. Now, my flash is stuck down and will not come up. Before the fix, the flash would come up but not fire. I have an external flash but would like to fix the built-in unit if possible. Any ideas? I'm sure someone has had this issue before, the D40 flash issue seems to be very common.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Jim031 Registered since 10th Apr 2011Wed 25-May-11 01:39 AM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D40 - Tried to fix flash, now it won't pop up"
In response to Reply # 0

DeLand, US

In all honesty, you are better off it doesn't work. Spend your money on a SB-900 or 800 if you want to use flash and want your photos to come out right.

Jim

downwithjaysus Registered since 23rd May 2011Wed 25-May-11 05:15 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D40 - Tried to fix flash, now it won't pop up"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Update: I got the flash to pop back up by applying a slight amount of pressure. The switch I thought I had reset was not properly setup. I fixed it and put the flash back down. Pushed the button to pop it back up and somehow the flash bulb itself breaks... I removed the bulb and covered the end of the hv leads with heat shrink. Camera now recognizes when flash is up or down. Now I can put it down and go above 1/500! Before, the camera thought the flash was up and would try to fire it when down.

I am using a bower external flash for when necessary, it is working fine so far.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43711 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.