Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43697
View in linear mode

Subject: "D60 - How to Show image preview WHILE tethered via USB" Previous topic | Next topic
SheHasMySpleen Registered since 19th May 2011Thu 19-May-11 04:09 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D60 - How to Show image preview WHILE tethered via USB"

Mill Creek, US

Hello! This is my first post, and ive spent most of the evening scouring, so I hope this isnt a repeat.

the short of it: I need to review the last shot taken by the d60 (externally, but it doesnt work on the camera's built-in LCD either) while tethered to a PC via USB. the last-picture-shot only displays (again, on built-in LCD or external monitor) when the camera is not tethered. Does anyone know how to get this to work? to reiterate, the image preview works, and the custom settings work fine, but as soon as you tether the camera to a pc, the lcd only display settings, and not the photo.

what im doing, to help from the workarounds that wont work: subjects use the remote and snap their own photos, and i have an LCD monitor that displays their last shot. I also have the d60 tethered to my PC so i can print out the subject's best photo for them AND run a slideshow on ANOTHER monitor of the best shots taken that night. right now since theres NO WAY i can go without tethering the PC, the subjects cant see what theyre shooting, but i really want to get this to work! ...especially since i just spent $10 on the adapter cable, $32 on the rca to vga converter, and $30 for a monitor stand

any help will be appreciated it! thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D60 - How to Show image preview WHILE tethered via ...
SheHasMySpleen
19th May 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
19th May 2011
SheHasMySpleen
19th May 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
19th May 2011
SheHasMySpleen
19th May 2011
briantilley Moderator
19th May 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
19th May 2011
SabreFlyr Silver Member
24th May 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
24th May 2011
nexus777
17th Jan 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
21st May 2011

SheHasMySpleen Registered since 19th May 2011Thu 19-May-11 05:58 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D60 - How to Show image preview WHILE tethered via USB"
In response to Reply # 0

Mill Creek, US

it obviously has something to do with the computer having control over the SD card/files, but i guess the next question is do we trick the camera into thinking its not connected? or some sort of file management trick possibly?

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 19-May-11 02:24 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D60 - How to Show image preview WHILE tethered via USB"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 19-May-11 02:30 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

What capture software are you using when tethered to the PC?

You need specialized software to transfer the images as shot while taken by the camera whether the camera's shutter button is used or the computer triggers the shutter.

Do the images transfer to the PC?

Have you checked your tethering program to make sure that it transfers images as shot?

Have you checked your tethering program to make sure that it opens the appropriate editing program?

Have you checked that the images are the folder expected by the software?

I have had no problem with Nikon Capture using a D70 or D200 when fully set up. Nikon Capture transfers the images directly to the PC and leaves no record on the media card. There are many other programs that can preform this task. I also have had no problems tethering the D70 or D200 to an Epson P7000.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

SheHasMySpleen Registered since 19th May 2011Thu 19-May-11 02:57 PM
#3. "RE: D60 - How to Show image preview WHILE tethered via USB"
In response to Reply # 2

Mill Creek, US

Thanks for the reply!

I dont have any problem with transferring or tethering or anything with tethering, the problem is while the camera is tethered, the camera's built-in LCD does not display the shot (image review is what i think the setting is called - i think i was called it image preview before).

i am not using any software, just standard windows explorer.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 19-May-11 04:17 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D60 - How to Show image preview WHILE tethered via USB"
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

You need a special program to perform this task.

Neither Windows Explorer nor Macintosh Finder has this functionality.

You will need to buy Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 or another program that can provide this function. Please look at the Nikon site and the read the description of Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 or look at Thether Pro.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

SheHasMySpleen Registered since 19th May 2011Thu 19-May-11 05:40 PM
#5. "RE: D60 - How to Show image preview WHILE tethered via USB"
In response to Reply # 4

Mill Creek, US

I think you might be misunderstanding what im trying to do im trying to get the last picture to display on the camera's LCD while being tethered. i dont want my pc to control my camera, or to display pictures on my pc. camera control pro 2 MIGHT do this, but no where does it mention that it will allow my camera's LCD to display while tethered. tethered pro looks GREAT for viewing on my PC, but also doenst mention about viewing on the LCD. ill check trial versions and see if it works.

thanks again!

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 19-May-11 05:53 PM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D60 - How to Show image preview WHILE tethered via USB"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 19-May-11 05:54 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

Sorry - wrong post!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 19-May-11 06:15 PM
#7. "RE: D60 - How to Show image preview WHILE tethered via USB"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 19-May-11 06:19 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

See page 82 of your camera's user manual:

"When Camera Control Pro 2 is running, “PC” will appear in the viewfinder and Shooting information display."

As long as your camera is connected to the PC by the USB cable the computer has most of the control.

You maybe able to use WiFi. Your D60 does not have built-in Wifi nor does Nikon have a WiFi accessory for the D60, so you will need to get a 3rd party product. You will still need special software on your computer to interact with the WiFi device attached to the camera and to control the transfer the images. You may have other issues because of the size of the image files being transferred and the camera's timing out.

To do this on my D200, there is a $400.00 USD accessory grip and no software. This is how the photo kiosk at tourist sites work.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

SabreFlyr Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jul 2009Tue 24-May-11 03:50 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D60 - How to Show image preview WHILE tethered via USB"
In response to Reply # 5

Marion, IN, US

I've only begun to experiment with tethered shooting with my D60 and I use a Mac. However, what I think might be the issue here is where the issue is stored after it is taken. I'm using Lightroom Tether from Mountainstorm but I suspect Camera Control Pro and others do the same thing. From what I've seen so far, the picture is stored EITHER on the SD card OR on the PC, not both. To see the picture on the PC, it must be stored on the PC. And, when it's stored on the PC, it's not available to be displayed on the camera LCD.

Don't take my word for it but, you might want to see if this is the problem.

Ray

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 24-May-11 04:56 PM
#10. "RE: D60 - How to Show image preview WHILE tethered via USB"
In response to Reply # 9

Chicago, US

All of that depends upon how the program is written and interacts with the computer. The behavior should be described in the program or devices documentation. TetherPro copies the image after written to the media card.

The Epson 7000 also copies the images from the media card when tethered, but the device only triggers the shutter.

YMMV

George
My Nikonian Galleries

nexus777 Registered since 17th Jan 2012Tue 17-Jan-12 02:54 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D60 - How to Show image preview WHILE tethered via USB"
In response to Reply # 10

AU

Tetherpro is worth a try.
It works well for me.
I believe they have a 'try before you buy' arrangement.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sat 21-May-11 02:02 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D60 - How to Show image preview WHILE tethered via USB"
In response to Reply # 0

US

An alternative to tethering is Eye-Fi. Painfully slow, I've heard.

http://www.eye.fi/

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43697 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.