nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43665
View in linear mode

Subject: "Dead Pixel(s) and fine line down centre" Previous topic | Next topic
D50DC Registered since 30th Apr 2011Sat 30-Apr-11 10:41 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Dead Pixel(s) and fine line down centre"

UK

I still think my D50 gives excellent results - however it has recently added a new feature which is only detectable on certain images (usually dark ones) of when showing pictures on a big screen or the computer.

Basically I have thin line down the middle of the image - starting about a third of the way down - with the top of the line showing as a round dot.

I have heard of the sensors etc being cleaned - but this sound more serious.

Elsewhere people have suggested getting an authorised dealer to send to nikon for assesement - but as ever - difficult to asses how much it is actually worth spending to fix.... given that the camera is 5 years old and I have seen them on sale for £150 on ebay. I guess spending say £100 might be worth it but any more than that I might as well just save the money towards a newer Nikon (body only) like the D90 and D7000 amongst others.

Any thoughts/suggestions....?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Sat 30-Apr-11 11:56 PM
2760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Dead Pixel(s) and fine line down centre"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 30-Apr-11 11:58 PM by Floridian

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Sounds like something you can't fix yourself. I love my D50, but probably not enough to get something like this fixed. If it was my D50, I'd probably be looking into replacing it. The D90 and D7000 seem like good replacement candidates.

Randy

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSun 01-May-11 12:07 AM
10884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Dead Pixel(s) and fine line down centre"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Does the line still appear if you switch memory cards?

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 01-May-11 01:56 AM
26997 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Dead Pixel(s) and fine line down centre"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi David,

Welcome to Nikonians!
What color is the line and dot?
If they are black, it could be as simple as a spot of dust and a thin thread on the sensor.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

D50DC Registered since 30th Apr 2011Tue 03-May-11 12:05 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Dead Pixel(s) and fine line down centre"
In response to Reply # 3

UK

Thanka for the replies. The problem remains when I switch memory cards. In terms of colour I'm not sure of the colour of the line itself, I think its white or very light anyway. I blew up one of the images to check the dot and this shows as light green and is in fact a cross of (what appears to be) 4 pixels (2 by 2).

Rgds.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43665 Previous topic | Next topic