Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43648
View in linear mode

Subject: "D50 - All of a sudden, pictures are pink and green" Previous topic | Next topic
jlandin Registered since 18th Apr 2011Mon 18-Apr-11 09:28 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50 - All of a sudden, pictures are pink and green"

US

I have a Nikon D50 with the original Nikkor 28-80mm lens on it. I've had it since brand new, and never had any problems with it until recently. All of a sudden, the color in the pictures it takes are bright pinks and greens. The camera has never been dropped or exposed to moisture. At first I thought it was some sort of setting gone wrong (a filter or something), but I reset it back to all factory defaults (as per the manual) and it didn't change anything. Attached is an example photo of a sunny day.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/jlandin/nikon/DSC_4825-1.jpg

Anyone seen one do this before?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 18-Apr-11 10:11 PM
10708 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D50 - All of a sudden, pictures are pink and green"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 18-Apr-11 10:16 PM by Covey22

US

I recall a similar incident, very rare, but it happened to a D70 owner. It seemed that replacing the component boards related to the CompactFlash read/write fixed the problem.

Edited to add: the other possibility is that the camera has been subjected to high humidity and moisture has made it's way into the sensor/chamber. There was a bad batch of Sony CCD sensors a few years ago that spurred a recall, but it was only affecting compacts. However, the symptom photos shown look very close to what you have. For that, you could try sealing the camera in a bag with silica packets for a few days and see what happens.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 18-Apr-11 10:40 PM
3279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50 - All of a sudden, pictures are pink and green"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Have you tried a different card?

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jlandin Registered since 18th Apr 2011Tue 19-Apr-11 12:06 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D50 - All of a sudden, pictures are pink and green"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks for your responses. I think I'll try the bag thing (can't hurt), but we've been really careful with the camera. Also, I did try different cards but no luck there.

How are the repair costs on these? I'm wondering if it's worth it, or if I'd be better off selling it as-is and buying something new. I paid $600 for it in Dec 2005, not long after they came out.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 19-Apr-11 12:48 PM
10708 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D50 - All of a sudden, pictures are pink and green"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Given that quality used D50s from reliable second hand brokers are going for a little under $290, I would Use that as a basis for determining the repair estimate versus replacing...

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43648 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.