Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43561
View in linear mode

Subject: "Are we coming to the end?" Previous topic | Next topic
LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Fri 04-Feb-11 04:08 PM
1687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Are we coming to the end?"

Spartanburg, US

I have noticed recently that my D40x seems to be overexposing just a bit. I will be correcting this, of course, but I am beginning to wonder: Is my trusted digital beginning to to stagger?

I know that, unlike the mechanical film cameras, digital cameras are not designed to last forever and can only be used for a certain number of activiations. I have no idea how many shots I've taken with the D40x; I have been careful of her but I have had this camera for several years now.

Incidentally, I did have preventive maintenance on this camera about four or five months ago.

Thanks for any insights.

LL49Wat

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Are we coming to the end?
rhom
04th Feb 2011
LL49Wat
04th Feb 2011
MEMcD Moderator
04th Feb 2011
LL49Wat
05th Feb 2011
MEMcD Moderator
05th Feb 2011
blw Moderator
05th Feb 2011
LL49Wat
05th Feb 2011
rtg
08th Feb 2011
LL49Wat
08th Feb 2011
LL49Wat
08th Feb 2011
blw Moderator
09th Feb 2011
LL49Wat
09th Feb 2011

rhom Registered since 06th Aug 2008Fri 04-Feb-11 08:12 PM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Are we coming to the end?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 04-Feb-11 08:14 PM by rhom

Sacramento, US

Hi LL49Wat,

IMHO, I wouldn't assume that this overexposing is a symptom of your camera wearing out. Any chance that this symptom coincided with the preventive maintenance service? If so, the technician may have accidently tweaked something. You might take your camera back to the shop that did the work and let them know.

"I know that, unlike the mechanical film cameras, digital cameras are not designed to last forever and can only be used for a certain number of activiations."
Obviously, no camera is made to last forever, but many Nikons come close! There were plenty of mechanical Nikon film SLRs that ended up in repair shops. Personally, I had to have my 1960s Nikkormat FTn's shutter repaired when it had no more than a few thousand shutter activations at the time of failure. Second, the mechanical SLRs were built to a price point or sometimes to a given number of shutter activations, just like today's dSLRs. True, today's dSLRs are vastly more complex in terms of electronics, but their basic shutter mechanisms are more similar than not to those in film cameras and both have proven to be very reliable. I do believe that the ease of seeing digital results and the lack of film/processing costs result in much higher numbers of dSLR shutter activations than most film SLRs, however.

Bottom line is that our D40x's are very reliable and should serve us well for tens of thousands of image captures! Hope that you can get that metering issue resolved so that you can continue to enjoy yours!

Best,

Rick

Nikon user for 40 years.
F-Ftn, F3, F4S, F90, F100, D5100, D700

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Fri 04-Feb-11 10:32 PM
1687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Are we coming to the end?"
In response to Reply # 1

Spartanburg, US

That's a load off my mind.

LL49Wat

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 04-Feb-11 11:20 PM
25711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Are we coming to the end?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Lynn,

If you are curious about the total number of shutter releases on your D40X you can download Opanda IExif2.3 for free at www.opanda.com .
Use Opanda IExif 2.3 to open a jpeg image created in the camera.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Sat 05-Feb-11 01:17 AM
#4. "RE: Are we coming to the end?"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 05-Feb-11 01:19 AM by LL49Wat

Spartanburg, US

Thanks, I will try the program. I hope that it is easy. I've been trying to post pictures to my gallery this evening and they are disappearing into the ether....

Edited to all: Opps! The program won't work with my Mac. I'll try it once I get my PC notebook fixed. Thanks again.

LL49Wat

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 05-Feb-11 02:16 AM
25711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Are we coming to the end?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Lynn,

I am not a Mac user but found a link in a Nikoscope search to EXIFTool by Phil Harvey that is Mac compatible.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 05-Feb-11 06:23 PM
26580 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Are we coming to the end?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

> digital cameras are not designed to last forever

True literally. At least these days we upgrade them before they would otherwise wear out.

> can only be used for a certain number of activiation

This is no more true of a D40x than it was of an FM2n. Both have a design lifetime: the amount of use that the shutters will bear before they simply wear out and are no longer mechanically accurate, etc. And in fact, the D40x and the FM2n have about the same design life: 50,000 cycles. You're more likely to get close to that limit with a digital body, but in fact the mechanical lifetime is about the same. For perspective, 50k cycles is a 36-exposure roll of film every single week for 26 years. Here's a digital perspective: I shoot more frames than most amateurs, partly because I do a lot of sports and partly because I shoot a lot. I fairly often end up squeezing a D3 for 9 fps, something you literally cannot do on a D40x (2.5 fps, right?). Even with that, I am averaging about 20k frames per year. I see a lot of amateur bodies that do 3-4k per year. 4000 frames is still 75 per week, every week, and at that rate 50k won't be approached for > 10 years.

Even when the lifetime does get up there, it doesn't turn into a pumpkin. Eventually, like a car with an odometer at 150k miles, something will fail, and then you decide whether or not it's worth fixing. Replacing a shutter costs about $400, pretty much regardless of which body it is - my FM2n needed a new shutter years ago and that cost about $300, about $400 in today's money. A close friend had a D3 shutter replaced a year or two ago, and that cost $425. On a D3x, of course you'd replace it and go on. On a D100 (which is presently worth maybe $200 in toto) the usual reaction would likely be to either buy another used D100 or get a D3100 for slightly more than that $400.

> Are we coming to the end?

Judging by your comments over the past few years, I'd guess you are not one of the sort to be shooting with wild abandon, and I'll guess that your D40x probably has under 10k frames on it. And in that case, you're not only not coming to the end, you may not really even at the end of the beginning, to paraphrase Winston Churchill...

If you have Photoshop (or, I think, Elements), do File -> File Info; then go far right and look for the Advanced tab. Click that, then look at Schema, then aux:ImageNumber. That tells you the number of cycles since shutter replacement.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Sat 05-Feb-11 07:45 PM
#7. "RE: Are we coming to the end?"
In response to Reply # 6

Spartanburg, US

I am going to check my cycle number. it will be interesting to see what it is.

One thing about digital: I do tend to shoot more frames. I tend to be more methodical laying out a shot with my film cameras, and on the Fm2n or the F3HP I am very, very methodical.

LL49Wat

rtg Registered since 27th Dec 2010Tue 08-Feb-11 01:29 AM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Are we coming to the end?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

If you have a mac all you need to do is open a JPEG in Preview and hit Command I. That will give all of the info on that image including picture account.

Rob

If you are into boating checkout: www.SilvertonForums.com

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Tue 08-Feb-11 01:39 AM
#9. "RE: Are we coming to the end?"
In response to Reply # 8

Spartanburg, US

Where do I find "Command 1"?

LL49Wat

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Tue 08-Feb-11 01:45 AM
#10. "RE: Are we coming to the end?"
In response to Reply # 9

Spartanburg, US

I found it! I have 11, 762 activations...and thanks to you, I now can fill in the blanks on the information in my Nikonian gallery on all my pictures.

LL49Wat

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 09-Feb-11 10:23 AM
26580 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: Are we coming to the end?"
In response to Reply # 10

Richmond, US

Rob - that's a great tip on Preview.

Lynn- Looks like you have about six years to go on your D40x... you can start planning your 2017 upgrade

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Wed 09-Feb-11 01:49 PM
#12. "RE: Are we coming to the end?"
In response to Reply # 11

Spartanburg, US

By then the D7000 or the D5000 should be a bargain!
LL49Wat

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43561 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.