nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Built in flash: What am I doing wrong?

Tiggi

UK
13 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Tiggi Registered since 30th Dec 2010
Thu 20-Jan-11 11:05 PM

I have been playing around with my D40 indoors. Using a flash has always been my weakpoint, even with my point and shoots so I am probably a bit underdeveloped in skill here anyway!

I do not have a flash gun (yet) so it is just the built in flash. I was taking photos of my daughter in the house with the lights on (set WB to tungsten). I took some with and some without the flash as I am trying to get a feel for the flash compensation settings. Any time I used the flash her face is ghostly white. Without the flash looks a lot more natural, but a little on the dark side. I did try using various setting with the flash compensation but it made little difference. I also found on the WB menu that there is a setting for flash and wondered if this might help, but it didn't.

What else should I be looking at on the settings menu? Oh, and I was using the camera in programmed auto mode if that helps at all.

Many thanks

G