Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Built in flash: What am I doing wrong?

13 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Tiggi Registered since 30th Dec 2010
Fri 21-Jan-11 12:05 AM

I have been playing around with my D40 indoors. Using a flash has always been my weakpoint, even with my point and shoots so I am probably a bit underdeveloped in skill here anyway!

I do not have a flash gun (yet) so it is just the built in flash. I was taking photos of my daughter in the house with the lights on (set WB to tungsten). I took some with and some without the flash as I am trying to get a feel for the flash compensation settings. Any time I used the flash her face is ghostly white. Without the flash looks a lot more natural, but a little on the dark side. I did try using various setting with the flash compensation but it made little difference. I also found on the WB menu that there is a setting for flash and wondered if this might help, but it didn't.

What else should I be looking at on the settings menu? Oh, and I was using the camera in programmed auto mode if that helps at all.

Many thanks