Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43457
View in linear mode

Subject: "What are your D40 settings? " Previous topic | Next topic
Rick_Smith Registered since 08th Jan 2011Sun 09-Jan-11 02:12 AM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What are your D40 settings? "

US

I have a D40 and use a 35 mm 1.8 fixed lens indoors to take pictures of my new born son. I changed all the settings to what Ken Rockwell suggested on his blog , I was curious what everyone thought of that.

I tried to take Raw photos over the weekend, but figuring out how to use the manual modes of my camera, and trying to learn a photo software like Aperture to touch up each photo is a bit much right now. I'd rather take great photos (without much, if any at all, post production.)

I was curious what picture settings are considered to be the "agreed upon one for great photos of your kids, nice colors that "pop" for the D40. And if anyone (or everyone) is using all the suggested ideas given on Ken Rockwell's blog.

Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Bluewaterhooker0 Registered since 31st Jan 2009Sun 09-Jan-11 06:37 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What are your D40 settings? "
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa, US

This has to be one of the more personal subjects you could discuss. So I'll just tell you where I set mine.
Optimize Image - Vivid
Image Qual - JPEG Normal
Image Size - Medium
White Balance - (manually set for ambient)
ISO - manual 800 with adjustments for conditions
Noise - Off
Focus - AF-S
AF Area - Single (in the center)
Shooting Mode - Single (easy enough to push the button again)
Metering - Matrix
That's pretty much it.
Vivid should give you the 'pop' you're looking for.
Medium and JPEG Normal don't eat up much memory space.
Auto white balance can be great, but have seen it get fooled too many times. I like manual.
ISO 800 provides a lot of flexibility under many conditions, and has (in my opinion) minimal effect on noise level at average reproduction sizes. You can always adjust for intended effects.
I like to get my focus via the 'half shutter release', recompose, then shoot method. So, I want to know where the focusing area is at all times.
To me, RAW is just overkill unless you are shooting professionally. Many post adjustments are available in JPEG mode.
Good Luck

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 09-Jan-11 03:13 PM
3175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What are your D40 settings? "
In response to Reply # 1

Nevis, US

"Medium and JPEG Normal don't eat up much memory space."

Neither does Fine, Large JPEG. Why would you want to limit the quality of your images?

Alan

chewie Registered since 17th Jan 2008Sun 09-Jan-11 01:41 PM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What are your D40 settings? "
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 09-Jan-11 01:44 PM by chewie

Petaling Jaya, MY

Tough to say. Pretty much depends on LOTS of things. Some of these are:

Style? Effect(s) that you may want? Using flash? Amount of ambient light? Mood that you want to produce? Etc.

For baby shots, I prefer a "soft" approach. This could mean, bounced lightings and not so aggressive settings. I prefer to have normal saturation, sharpening to medium high and tone to medium high, and slightly warmer tones than neutral grey to start off with. - If I'm using JPEG.

If I'm using RAW, Saturation is normal, sharpening is normal and so is the Tone set to normal.

I prefer to set it to normal saturation and try to have the skin tones looking as it is unless he/she has a very pale skin complexion.

~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~

I've learned that I have alot more to learn...

Bluewaterhooker0 Registered since 31st Jan 2009Sun 09-Jan-11 03:37 PM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What are your D40 settings? "
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa, US

Yup, like I said, very personal subject. I got the impression that Rick was unimpressed with his results, and looking for more 'Pop'. Thought my settings would get him closer. On a D40, you have a point about the Large JPEG Fine, since it is a 6MP camera. I am used to the D80's with 10MP, and find that smaller works for my purposes. I don't shoot professional any more, thus don't print any 16x20's.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43457 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.