nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43454
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need some advice regarding d40 vs. d7000" Previous topic | Next topic
Rick_Smith Registered since 08th Jan 2011Sun 09-Jan-11 12:32 AM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Need some advice regarding d40 vs. d7000"

US

If you look at my profile you'll see my gear, but long story short, I have just started using my Nikon d40 out of auto mode due to the fact that we have had a son. I have been taking photos with A most of the time, and trying to understand the m mode. I am taking photos like crazy. I just bought a sb-600 and a 35mm 1.8 lens. Here is my question - at this point in the game how much benefit would I get if I upgraded to a d7000? I know the camera has a better sensor, more focus areas, and from what I have read does better under low light conditions, but I"m not sure how that translates into real world photos.

I can return the sb-600 and the 35mm 1.8 back to Best Buy and use that money toward the price of the d7000. Then I would sell my d40, and the 2 kit lens (18-55, and 55-200 vr on ebay). I'd probably end up paying around 600 or so dollars extra out of pocket.

So the question is this - would I see a noticeable difference in my photos? Would the kit lens for the d7000 (18-105 vr) be ok for the type of shots I take? (Take a look at this photo set for the types of pictures I plan on taking the next year or so - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricklovestivo/sets/72157625758346482)

If I bought the d7000 I'd return the flash and the 35mm lens. So the question is - what would give me better pictures for the type of shots I take out the gate - the D7000 and 18-105 vr kit lens, or the d40, 18-55, 55-200, 35mm 1.8, and sb-600?

I'm not sure how much real world difference I'd see with the type of pictures I take.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm open to any advice.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Need some advice regarding d40 vs. d7000
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
09th Jan 2011
Rick_Smith
09th Jan 2011
Bluewaterhooker0
09th Jan 2011
pwarbeck
09th Jan 2011
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
09th Jan 2011
Rick_Smith
10th Jan 2011
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
10th Jan 2011
Rick_Smith
11th Jan 2011
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
11th Jan 2011
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
11th Jan 2011
Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot
11th Jan 2011
ziggy7
12th Jan 2011
Bluewaterhooker0
12th Jan 2011
Rick_Smith
12th Jan 2011
Captain Rich Silver Member
22nd Jan 2011
Reply message Keep the D40
jmmaher
22nd Jan 2011
     Reply message RE: Keep the D40
ironwoodphoto
19th Aug 2011
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
21st Aug 2011
Reply message Keep your D40. It's a great camera.
Nikonmel
08th Oct 2011
Reply message RE: Keep your D40. It's a great camera.
ironwoodphoto
10th Oct 2011
Matthew Gregory Silver Member
01st Nov 2011
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
01st Nov 2011

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 09-Jan-11 12:51 AM
4915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Need some advice regarding d40 vs. d7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Given some more background from your similar but different thread
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=146&topic_id=190953&mesg_id=190953&page=

I would say, you have a pretty good setup as is. Give it a try and see how it does for you.

The D7000 is a worthwhile upgrade to the D40, but I would keep the flash and 35mm lens as those would be great accessories for the D7000.

Given your descriptions so far, I am not sure you would see any large improvements given your planned upgrade path. One thing to think about would be get good with what you have, then in 6-12 months upgrade the d40 body for a d7000 body or a d7000 kit.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

Rick_Smith Registered since 08th Jan 2011Sun 09-Jan-11 01:50 AM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Need some advice regarding d40 vs. d7000"
In response to Reply # 1

US

If I bought the d7000 I would use the kit lens for a while. Also, the reason I'd buy the camera now (As opposed to later) as I'm still in the time frame to return the 35mm and the sb-600. With the better sensor and iso from what I've read I can take much better picture indoors with the light I have. Also since the kit lens is a vr, this will help a lot.

I know the D90 is a big step up from the d40, and the d7000 is a big step up from the d90. I'm just curious what everything else being the same (lens, lighting, etc.) and you were to take the same picture on each of the cameras listed above, how different would each of them look.

Bluewaterhooker0 Registered since 31st Jan 2009Sun 09-Jan-11 07:08 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Need some advice regarding d40 vs. d7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Tampa, US

The D40 is a great camera. It was the first DSLR that I bought. I had been a professional years ago, and the primary reason I moved up to a better body (D80) is that I was totally used to manual settings from my pro days. The more advanced cameras, D80, D90, D7000 are much more user friendly if you intend to make most of your exposures in manual mode. Given that manual is a new method to you, I have to agree with a previous post regarding hanging on to the D40 for now, as well as the flash and 35mm 1.8. They are totally useable on the newer cameras, and would be a loss to get rid of. The 2 kit lenses you already have are, in my opinion, excellent lenses, capable of beautiful shots. In the future, you might consider a used D80 or D90 body if you want to move up. Then just sell the D40 body, and your good to go, for a whole lot less money. If money is no object, pop for the D7000 and have fun.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pwarbeck Registered since 25th May 2009Sun 09-Jan-11 04:56 PM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Need some advice regarding d40 vs. d7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Tucson AZ, US

I agree with the other posters who advise sticking the D40. I had a D40 which I used exclusively in manual mode with my legacy Nikon lenses. I loved the camera and was absolutely delighted with the quality of the photos. The only reason I upgraded to a D7000 was because it had specific features that I wanted, not because I thought it would take better pictures. I wanted (1) to be able to make bigger enlargements (16 MP versus 6 MP) (2) get more detailed histogram info (R, G, and B channels) (3) bracketing for HDR (4) 100% viewfinder coverage. I now use the D7000 as if it were a D40 these added features.

Visit my gallery on 23hq

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 09-Jan-11 08:20 PM
3438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Need some advice regarding d40 vs. d7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

I don't think you will see a great difference in the photos you're taking. The D40 is capable of very good images. I would keep the flash. It's much more powerful than the built in flash and with it's tilt and rotating head is much more versatile. The 35mm is a nice low light lens. What the D7000 buys you is movie mode, the ability to use the older auto focus and manual focus lenses, the ability to print larger prints and tighter crops and much better low light photography using higher ISO settings. If these features are not that important to you just keep the D40.

Len

Rick_Smith Registered since 08th Jan 2011Mon 10-Jan-11 08:25 PM
#6. "RE: Need some advice regarding d40 vs. d7000"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks everyone for the great info. One thing about the D40 is I hate having to buy more expensive glass because the D40 can't auto focus lenes unless they have the motor built into the camera. For instance the 35 mm 1.8 lens is almost double if you have to buy the one with the auto focus built in to the lens. So that'd be 100 bucks toward the new body right there.

I was thinking of maybe just going with a D90 instead of the D7000. 95% of my pictures are indoors. I have a sb-6000 and I use it, but I've read that many people don't like to use flash at all if they don't have to, but I'm not sure how you get a good photo if it's dark in a room without flash. Even if you use a high iso and the light in the room, you are capturing what you are seeing. (hopefully) If I was in that room, and wanted to see my baby better I'd have to turn on a light. so I"m not sure why I'd want to take pictures in the room with not much light? Does that makes sense? The pictures have a yellow tint to them. (I know you can adjust the white balance in post, but my most of my picture don't have a "middle gray" in them, so I"m not sure how to correct the white balance in post. (I'm open to some suggestions.)

The other question I have is this - I NEVER print out any pictures more then 4x6, and 95 of my pictures stay on my computer (Facebook, email to family, etc.). So my question is would I even see a difference in going to the d90/d7000 if I just do this? I know they D7000 has a better sensor, but I"m not sure how much better it is for what I do. (I"M not sure if the d90 has a better sensor or not.)

I know the D90 and the D7000 have a higher iso then my D40, but does it matter? It's my understanding that above 800 iso (and realy 400) you start to see grain. If I take a picture indoors on iso 1600 on my d40 you can see all sorts of noise. Does the fact that a camera has higher iso make the lower iso's better?

For instance, if I were to take a photo at iso 400 on both camera would one look better then the other? Or would iso 800 on the d40 be the same as iso 400 on the d90? I'm not sure if that makes sense. Also do the extra focus points, or better light meter make make a difference on my photos? I'm trying to wrap my head around how all of this works, and if It'd make sense to upgrade my body to at least a D90. (I'm just thinking if I do that, if the d90 is already outdated, and if I'm going to spend that much I may as well get the d7000 if it is that much better of a camera.)

I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 10-Jan-11 09:54 PM
27013 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Need some advice regarding d40 vs. d7000"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Rick,

>One thing about the D40
>is I hate having to buy more expensive glass because the D40
>can't auto focus lenes unless they have the motor built into
>the camera. For instance the 35 mm 1.8 lens is almost double
>if you have to buy the one with the auto focus built in to the
>lens. So that'd be 100 bucks toward the new body right there.

Actually the 35mm f/1.8G AS-F DX ($192.95) has the AF motor built into the lens and it is about $130.00 cheaper than the AF 35mm f/2D ($323.25) with the screwdriver type AF.
Of course the new 35mm f/1.4G AF-S ($1799.95) has an AF motor built into the lens also.
You must mean the AF 50mm f/1.8D compared to the 50mm f/1.4G AF-S.

>I was thinking of maybe just going with a D90 instead of the
>D7000. 95% of my pictures are indoors. I have a sb-6000 and
>I use it, but I've read that many people don't like to use
>flash at all if they don't have to, but I'm not sure how you
>get a good photo if it's dark in a room without flash. Even if
>you use a high iso and the light in the room, you are
>capturing what you are seeing. (hopefully) If I was in that
>room, and wanted to see my baby better I'd have to turn on a
>light. so I"m not sure why I'd want to take pictures in
>the room with not much light? Does that makes sense?

Direct flash can be harsh. The light can be softened by using a diffuser and bounce flash.
To let sleeping babies sleep!

>The pictures have a yellow tint to them. (I know you can adjust
>the white balance in post, but my most of my picture don't
>have a "middle gray" in them, so I"m not sure
>how to correct the white balance in post. (I'm open to some
>suggestions.)

If you have incandescent light bulbs in your house simply set the WB to incandescent (light bulb icon) or tungsten in the camera menu and the yellow cast will be gone. If you shoot in Raw, you can set a white point or "Calculate Automatically" to correct the WB in PP.

>The other question I have is this - I NEVER print out any
>pictures more then 4x6, and 95 of my pictures stay on my
>computer (Facebook, email to family, etc.). So my question is
>would I even see a difference in going to the d90/d7000 if I
>just do this? I know they D7000 has a better sensor, but
>I"m not sure how much better it is for what I do.
>(I"M not sure if the d90 has a better sensor or not.)

The D90 (12MP) has more resolution and better high ISO performance than your D40 (6MP). The D7000 (16MP) has more resolution and better high ISO performance than the D90.
For 4 x 6 prints the only benefit you will see is when shooting at high ISO settings, the D90 and D7000 images will have less noise than those produced by the D40.

>I know the D90 and the D7000 have a higher iso then my D40,
>but does it matter? It's my understanding that above 800 iso
>(and realy 400) you start to see grain. If I take a picture
>indoors on iso 1600 on my d40 you can see all sorts of noise.
>Does the fact that a camera has higher iso make the lower
>iso's better?

Both the D90 and D7000 will produce cleaner images at high ISO settings. The D90 has about a 1.5 to 2 stop advantage over the D40. The D7000 has about a 1 - 1.5 stop advantage over the D90.
>
>For instance, if I were to take a photo at iso 400 on both
>camera would one look better then the other? Or would iso 800
>on the d40 be the same as iso 400 on the d90?

Yes! ISO 800 on the D90 is a one stop advantage over the D40. 1.5 stops would be ISO 1200 or so compared to ISO 400.

>Also do the extra focus points, or better
>light meter make make a difference on my photos?

Maybe? The more features a camera has, the more capability it has, the more that can go wrong if you are not careful.

>I'm trying to
>wrap my head around how all of this works, and if It'd make
>sense to upgrade my body to at least a D90. (I'm just thinking
>if I do that, if the d90 is already outdated, and if I'm going
>to spend that much I may as well get the d7000 if it is that
>much better of a camera.)

If you feel uncomfortable buying a new camera keep using your D40 until it can't do what you want it to do.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Rick_Smith Registered since 08th Jan 2011Tue 11-Jan-11 12:33 AM
#9. "RE: Need some advice regarding d40 vs. d7000"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Thanks for the great advice. I'm thinking of going with the d90 instead of the d7000. I really need the better iso for indoor shots. I'm thinking I'd be able to use 1.8-4 with the better iso on the d90 compared to the d40. If my thinking is right that will keep me from having to go to 1.4, etc. I just hope the iso improvement from the d40 to the d90 is such an improvement that I don't need to go to the d7000.

I see that the sensor in the D7000 is newer and bigger then the d90. I will almost NEVER (if ever) use the camera to take videos. Is the newer and bigger sensor only for videos or will increase my picture quality as well?

I'm not sure if the sensor from the D40 to the D90 is as big of a jump as the one from the D90 to the D7000.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 11-Jan-11 01:15 AM
27013 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Need some advice regarding d40 vs. d7000"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Hi Rick,

>Thanks for the great advice. I'm thinking of going with the
>d90 instead of the d7000. I really need the better iso for
>indoor shots. I'm thinking I'd be able to use 1.8-4 with the
>better iso on the d90 compared to the d40. If my thinking is
>right that will keep me from having to go to 1.4, etc. I just
>hope the iso improvement from the d40 to the d90 is such an
>improvement that I don't need to go to the d7000.

Look at it this way: Digital camera bodies are upgraded about about every 2 years or so. Glass is a long term investment. For example I have lenses 30 years old that work perfectly on my newest DSLR.
The difference between f/1.8 to f/1.4 is only 2/3rd stop. The difference in price between the two is orders of magnitude( 35mm about 7 times more expensive, 50mm about 3 times more expensive, 85mm about 4 times more expensive).

>I see that the sensor in the D7000 is newer and bigger then
>the d90. I will almost NEVER (if ever) use the camera to take
>videos. Is the newer and bigger sensor only for videos or will
>increase my picture quality as well?

The sensor in the D40 is 23.7mm x 15.6mm the sensor in the D90 is 23.5mm x 15.8mm and the sensor in the D7000 is 23.6mm x 15.6mm. They are all DX sensors and close enough to be the same size.
The pixel density is what changes. D40 - 6.24 total MP - 6.1 effective MP, D90 - 12.9 total MP - 12.3 effective MP, D7000 - 16.9 total MP - 66.2 effective MP. Both the D90 (720p)and the D7000 (1080p) have video capability.

>I'm not sure if the sensor from the D40 to the D90 is as big
>of a jump as the one from the D90 to the D7000.

Again work with your D40 until you reach the limit of it's capability.
If you have issues with noise at high ISO's you might want to consider Noise Ninja or other noise reduction software.
If you are determined to buy a new body, Before you make a decision you might want to rent one of the bodies to understand first hand what you will gain.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 11-Jan-11 03:07 PM
3438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Need some advice regarding d40 vs. d7000"
In response to Reply # 9

Hatboro, Pa, US

>Thanks for the great advice. I'm thinking of going with the
>d90 instead of the d7000. I really need the better iso for
>indoor shots. I'm thinking I'd be able to use 1.8-4 with the
>better iso on the d90 compared to the d40. If my thinking is
>right that will keep me from having to go to 1.4, etc. I just
>hope the iso improvement from the d40 to the d90 is such an
>improvement that I don't need to go to the d7000.
>
>I see that the sensor in the D7000 is newer and bigger then
>the d90. I will almost NEVER (if ever) use the camera to take
>videos. Is the newer and bigger sensor only for videos or will
>increase my picture quality as well?
>
>I'm not sure if the sensor from the D40 to the D90 is as big
>of a jump as the one from the D90 to the D7000.

I would not like to see you disappointed going from the D40 to the D90 on the basis of high ISO performance only. Here's a little experiment you can make. Take the exact same photo with your ISO set at 400 and then at 1600. It would be better if the camera was on a tripod so the framing is identical in both photos. Only change the ISO and keep the aperture setting the same. Then print both photos to your 4X6 size and compare the two photos. Then determine if the higher ISO performance is worth it. I just performed this test with my D60 and cannot tell which photo is at the higher ISO (I don't have a D40). Noise really only shows up when you're making enlargements, shooting really dark scenes or are severely cropping the photo.

Len

Len

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Tue 11-Jan-11 12:08 AM
52498 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Need some advice regarding d40 vs. d7000"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Short answer, stay with your D40.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

ziggy7 Registered since 31st Oct 2008Wed 12-Jan-11 02:17 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Need some advice regarding d40 vs. d7000"
In response to Reply # 8

Orange Park, US

My daughter and I shoot weddings with a pair of D40's, mostly with the kit lenses. I also carry a 70-210 for long shots and a 50MM 1.8 for low light. I have rarely felt limited by the cameras at all, and our clients have been happy with our work. Most of them end up buying albums with 10x10" pages, so some of the photos will be printed at 10x20". 14x20" prints look fine. I carry my wonderful old F4 as a backup, and if I know ahead of time that a large print like 20x30 or 24x36 will be needed I use the F4 loaded with Portra film. I also use the F4 for the group jump shots because of the much faster frame rate. You can see some of our work here:
www.rogerenglephotography.com

The D40 does its job if I do mine. I still have much to learn after shooting 43 weddings, and I think it will be a while before I outgrow the D40. The only reason I might upgrade is that quite often some of the wedding guests have bigger, more expensive cameras than I'm using.

Bluewaterhooker0 Registered since 31st Jan 2009Wed 12-Jan-11 04:19 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Need some advice regarding d40 vs. d7000"
In response to Reply # 12

Tampa, US

You've got an eye, my friend. It's the photograher, not the camera. Keep it up.

Rick_Smith Registered since 08th Jan 2011Wed 12-Jan-11 03:15 PM
#14. "RE: Need some advice regarding d40 vs. d7000"
In response to Reply # 13

US

>You've got an eye, my friend. It's the photograher, not the
>camera. Keep it up.

Did you look at some of my pictures? If so, thanks!

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sat 22-Jan-11 02:11 PM
1210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Need some advice regarding d40 vs. d7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Savannah, US

For the kinds of photos you take, and the size prints you like, - D40, 35mm f/1.8, SB600. low ISO. Quality will be great. Don't worry about newer bodies.

jmmaher Registered since 29th Dec 2010Sat 22-Jan-11 03:22 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "Keep the D40"
In response to Reply # 15

US

I am new to this forum but had a D40 for a number of years and one of my best friends shoots with it now. There is no question that the D7000 is a better camera but the D40 with the 35 1.8 and flash will be much better for your use that a D7000 without them. A great step up in quality would be a cheap set of radio triggers and a umbrella or other modifier for the flash. I just had a older photo I took with the d40 blown up on canvas to 30X40 and it looks great (canvas is more forgiving than a regular print.) Better glass is almost always a great improvement.
Jim

ironwoodphoto Registered since 25th Jul 2011Fri 19-Aug-11 07:31 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Keep the D40"
In response to Reply # 16

CA

I defenately agree that you should keep the D40 until you have more experience under your belt. I have the D40 with the 18-tt, 55-200 VR as well as a Sigma 70-300.
I shoot almost exclusively in some form of Manual mode, except for certain times when I don't feel like thinking.

Experience will tell you when it is time to switch

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 21-Aug-11 02:32 PM
26905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#18. "RE: Need some advice regarding d40 vs. d7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Since this thread is 9 months old, my guess is that the immediacy of the question is long past. But since it's been brought up again, I'll simply say that for most users, a D40 is plenty - amazingly, it is more capable than most professional cameras of 15 years ago. That means that it can take essentially any photo taken with a 35mm camera before the dawn of the 21st century, and probably more than a few that couldn't have been done.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Nikonmel Registered since 04th Oct 2011Sat 08-Oct-11 07:52 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "Keep your D40. It's a great camera."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 08-Oct-11 07:57 PM by Nikonmel

US

Your current setup is great for what you want to do.
When you find that you've grown past the D40, them consider an upgrade.
I have a D40X (basically the same camera) and a D300 and while the D300 offers great ergonomic and other benefits, the D40X continues to deliver great pictures. I'm actually amazed how good my D40X shots continue to be.
Unless you're just itching to get a new camera, you've got a great setup already. Master it and upgrade only if its functions no longer meet your requirements.

Mel

ironwoodphoto Registered since 25th Jul 2011Mon 10-Oct-11 03:02 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Keep your D40. It's a great camera."
In response to Reply # 19
Mon 10-Oct-11 03:02 PM by ironwoodphoto

CA

I have read what is being said by everyone and it seems to me that you really need to work with the D40 to gain more experience and then if and when you outgrow the camera, consider an upgrade. From the sounds of it you still have a lot to learn about the camera and its use.

Trust me, there is no rush to upgrade. I have a D40 that I use as a replacement for my Contax 139. I fiqure, I still have more to experience with the camera before I upgrade.

Take your time and gain experience first.

Tony

Tony

Matthew Gregory Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2011Tue 01-Nov-11 12:14 PM
205 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Keep your D40. It's a great camera."
In response to Reply # 20

Glenwood, US

I'm finding that my D60 has some restrictions on it that keep me thinking of an upgrade to the D7000. Perhaps my desired styles of shooting differ from everyone here, but here's my reasons:
-high ISO performance is leaps and bounds better on D7000. Most of my shots are in darkened forest settings, and there's simply things I could capture better with a usable 3200 or ever 6400 ISO. Not options for the D60. I agree that this is moot on 4"x6" images, but I'm not willing to shoot for lowest common denominator. What happens if the shot I take is kick-ass and I want it on my wall at 20"x30"?
-No mirror lockup on the D60. I like to shoot waterfalls with long exposures, and this would be a great way to minimize vibration.
-NO SCREW DRIVE for lenses that don't have SWM motors. I have access to scads of legacy lenses that a friend is gracious enough to loan me, but I can't use autofocus with any of them. Not a serious issue, but enough to irk me, for sure.
-I have, in the past, had enlargements printed (one panorama I did is 24"x88") - I don't think I would have minded another 10 megapixels!
-No autobracketing on D60. Not sure if I'd use this or not, but I'd like to give it a try.
-MUCH better screen on the D7000. I know, nitpicky, but there's no question it's easier to see, and in a variety of conditions. Histogram has been mentioned in a post above.

Just my thoughts. As I mention, the way you shoot might be entirely different from me, or maybe I'm doing it wrong! ; )

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 01-Nov-11 09:00 PM
4915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Keep your D40. It's a great camera."
In response to Reply # 21

Seattle, WA, US

That is an excellent list of reasons to upgrade. In your case, the old camera body is definitely holding you back.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43454 Previous topic | Next topic