Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43432
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D 60 setting for indoor photos" Previous topic | Next topic
seajay2uk Registered since 02nd Jan 2011Sun 02-Jan-11 07:39 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D 60 setting for indoor photos"

UK

Hi everyone I am having a problem with my Nikon D60.
I attend indoor dog shows and would like to be able to capture images that are in focus and the correct colour.
For some reason when I am in a hall setting my pictures just look awful!.I do keep it on auto and use the standard lense and I am now wondering what would be better. I have just recently learned how to bracket for my snow pictures and this made a huge difference.I now know I need to get away from auto and learn more.
Also I have an extra zoom lense that came with my kit it is bran new never used but will not auto focus, any one know how I can fix it or is it a faulty lense maybe.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D 60 setting for indoor photos
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
02nd Jan 2011
seajay2uk
03rd Jan 2011
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses
03rd Jan 2011
seajay2uk
09th Jan 2011
RichardNDL Silver Member
03rd Jan 2011
seajay2uk
09th Jan 2011

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 02-Jan-11 11:55 PM
26766 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D 60 setting for indoor photos"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Cathy,

Welcome to Nikonians!

>I attend indoor dog shows and would like to be able to capture
>images that are in focus and the correct colour.
>For some reason when I am in a hall setting my pictures just
>look awful!.I do keep it on auto and use the standard lense
>and I am now wondering what would be better. I have just
>recently learned how to bracket for my snow pictures and this
>made a huge difference.I now know I need to get away from auto
>and learn more.

I assume you are shooting ambient light (no flash). The blur you see is likly due to subject movement. If the dogs are moving you will have to use a shutter speed fast enough to freeze the action.
For moving subjects you will require a shutter speed between 1/250th sec. and 1/500th sec.
Shooting action in low light situations is difficult and "Fast Glass" is the price of admission. The kit lenses are slow variable aperture zooms that are excellent for general photography but not very well suited for low light action. If you provide the shutter speed, aperture (f/#), and ISO of a well exposed image, we can extrapolate the settings that you need and the equipment (lens) required to achieve the results that you are looking for.
The problem with color is a White Ballance issue. It can be easily resoved in PP if you shoot Raw or you could use the "pre" set feature to do a custom WB using a white or gray card or an Expodisc or other WB tool.
The other option is to use flash which may or may not be allowed, though at any distance the built in Speedlight will likely not have enough power to provide good results.

>Also I have an extra zoom lense that came with my kit it is
>bran new never used but will not auto focus, any one know how
>I can fix it or is it a faulty lense maybe.

Is the lens monted and locked in the mount?
Is the AF/MF switch on the lens in the AF position?
If the problem persists, try cleaning the electrical contacts on the lens. Also make sure that all of the electrical contacts project out the same distance as they are spring loaded and can get jammed in.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

seajay2uk Registered since 02nd Jan 2011Mon 03-Jan-11 12:03 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D 60 setting for indoor photos"
In response to Reply # 1

UK

Marty thanks you for such a warm welcome and also the great advice.

I was trying to use my camera with the flash on but holding it closed so as it would not go off..LoL!! this is probably what was going wrong with my focus.I only know this now as I went along to an open show this morning and changed the iso to 800 and was delighted that the flash did not go off.I did try changing the whitebalance to differnet settings but all pictures no matter what I used came out slightly orange.I can fix this with my software so I am not bothered but I am delighted I now know how to keep the flash from going off!
Lots to learn and it is fun not always sticking to the same setting.
Cathy

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 03-Jan-11 03:13 PM
3296 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D 60 setting for indoor photos"
In response to Reply # 2

Hatboro, Pa, US

Hello Cathy. Welcome.

If you take the camera out of AUTO mode and use A (aperture priority), the flash won't come on no matter what. Learn how to use the aperture settings and the higher ISO settings to get sharp photos.

White Balance is the hardest thing to get right in mixed lighting. When you get out of Auto mode it is easier to fine tune. Generally indoors with incandescent lighting use the light bulb symbol in the WB menu. The lower color temperature of incandescent is what gives you the yellow or orange photos.

Good Luck,
Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

seajay2uk Registered since 02nd Jan 2011Sun 09-Jan-11 09:52 PM
#6. "RE: Nikon D 60 setting for indoor photos"
In response to Reply # 3

UK

Len thank you I am going to try out all the advice I have been given.I see many an oppertunity to take a super picture and waist it just because I have no idea how to improve the shot.I am so keen to learn as I know with experience that taking my pictures using Auto can waste what might have been a super photo.
Cathy

RichardNDL Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Mon 03-Jan-11 07:14 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D 60 setting for indoor photos"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 03-Jan-11 07:17 PM by RichardNDL

woodland, US

My D60 is a much better camera than I am a photographer, so I avoid giving advice on these forums. However, I take pictures for my club's newsletter & have been dealing with pictures at dog shows.

This picture is from our specialty show in Pleasanton, California in October. The young lady was a junior handler.

I bought a Nikon prime lens, 50mm f1.4 for this exact kind of thing. I set the ISO at 800, and decided that 1/125 was the slowest I could set the shutter speed and still get good pictures, so I used shutter priority.

I was pretty happy with the results. It also meant, though, finding a place to stand where I wasn't in the way and wasn't a distraction. I took all of my pictures in RAW format, but found that, for the most part, they didn't need a lot of white balance work.

More pictures are in my gallery here or at http://deliberty.fototime.com/btcr (in the 2010 fall specialty album).

seajay2uk Registered since 02nd Jan 2011Sun 09-Jan-11 09:44 PM
#5. "RE: Nikon D 60 setting for indoor photos"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 09-Jan-11 09:58 PM by seajay2uk

UK

Richard what super photographs and perfect lighting!!
I had to delete all the ones I took.I will be attending many more shows and will try out the advice given.
Loved seeing all the dogs and all your oudoor pictures of them .
Thanks for sharing.
Cathy

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43432 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.