Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43388
View in linear mode

Subject: "cold weather" Previous topic | Next topic
soularts Registered since 11th Jan 2009Tue 14-Dec-10 06:58 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"cold weather"

US

I was wondering, as the temps are falling, does it harm my camera (besides an unhappy battery) to go in and out of the cold? Are there issues with lubrication on delicate mechanical parts? Condensation inside the camera? I live in Virginia, so it is generally above 0˚ F., so I am not concerned with extremely cold below zero stuff. I am using a D40.

Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 14-Dec-10 09:06 PM
25591 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: cold weather"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Laura,

You are correct that battery life can be reduced when they get cold.
There should be no problem with lubrication at all.
Going from warm to cold is not a problem. When going from cold to warm, condensation can be a problem. Keep your camera in a camera bag or a plastic bag when you bring it in from the cold. Keep it covered long enough for the temperature of the camera to equalize with the air before you take it out of the bag.
Even shooting at tempratures well below zero is not a problem as long as you use common sense.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Wed 15-Dec-10 12:15 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: cold weather"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Howdy, Laura. I don't get out in really cold weather too often but I always keep my battery or two in my pocket and then take it out to shoot when it's cold out. Chemical reactions occur at rate that is proportional to temperature. I have a spare battery just in case and rotate them from my pocket to the camera every so often if the battery meter seems to be dipping prematurely, hard to tell with only 3 bars to work with.

Marty has offered a tried and true tip on the condensation problem.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43388 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.