Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43379
View in linear mode

Subject: "D50 Macro Photography" Previous topic | Next topic
tc882000 Registered since 12th Dec 2010Sun 12-Dec-10 03:35 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50 Macro Photography"

CA

I have a D50 with the Nikon 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. I have been looking at E-bay and other sites looking for what might work for macro. Even looked at the Nikon site but hard to decide what might work best. Any recommendations for a macro lens, either Nikon or otherwise? Are any extension tubes made that will work with this camera? Keeping the auto-focus is not a big deal. Thanks for now.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D50 Macro Photography
aolander Silver Member
12th Dec 2010
tc882000
12th Dec 2010
blw Moderator
13th Dec 2010
tc882000
13th Dec 2010
Floridian Silver Member
12th Dec 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
13th Dec 2010

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 12-Dec-10 08:01 PM
3172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D50 Macro Photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Which one will work best depends somewhat on what you want to do with it. For active subjects, like insects, a longer focal length is often nice because of the greater working distance. A mid-focal length (90-105mm) might be a good start and some of the third party lenses are very good (and less expensive). The Tamron 90mm is a very nice lens.

As far as extension tubes go, Kenko tubes have the necessary electrical contacts and maintain metering and AF. Nikon tubes are manual only and won't meter on your body. They will work, however, with many lenses except "G" lenses.

A "close-up" lens (diopter) would work with the lenses you have, especially the 55-200mm. Nikon have the 3T/4T (52mm thread) and 5T/6T (62mm thread), but they are only available used. Canon makes the 500D in a variety of filter thread sizes. Diopters won't give you quite the magnification of a true macro lens, however.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

tc882000 Registered since 12th Dec 2010Sun 12-Dec-10 08:16 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50 Macro Photography"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

Thanks for now Alan. I don't think there will be much active, mostly still subjects. I think for quality reasons I will stay away from the diopters. Think I will check out the Kenko tubes and something like the Tamron for a lense.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 13-Dec-10 04:26 AM
26540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: D50 Macro Photography"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

> I think for quality reasons I will stay away from the diopters.

You might be surprised. For example:

This was shot hand-held on a D100, with the 70-300 D ED and a Nikon 6T diopter. The post processing is kind of shoddy, but nonetheless, most people who have seen the 8x10 print of this think it's from one of my macro lenses. Remember that the D100 has one of the strongest (ie worst) anti-aliasing filters around, the 70-300 D ED is said to be a poor lens (I think this demonstrates that the latter is not really so true), the shot was taken at the lens' worst focal length and aperture (300, f/5.6) and less than ideal conditions. Did I mention that the result is being softened by diffraction (since it's f/16)? And no matter what you think of the 6T, it sure isn't improving the performance of the lens on which it's mounted, right?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

tc882000 Registered since 12th Dec 2010Mon 13-Dec-10 02:30 PM
#5. "RE: D50 Macro Photography"
In response to Reply # 4

CA

Thanks Brian. Obviously diopters are not to be ruled out either. I kind of leaned towards the idea of a 85mm fixed focal length macro as the 35mm film equivalent of this is about 128mm which makes a nice portrait lens.

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Sun 12-Dec-10 10:46 PM
2707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D50 Macro Photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I had the same question you did, and started with the Kenko extension tubes, which work great for static subjects. (Mostly I use them with a 50mm lens, always with a tripod.) Earlier this year, after considering the various options for macro lenses, I bought the Nikkor 85mm f3.5 micro, which has VR and is useful for things other than macro, in addition to being a good macro lens. Without the tubes, I'm more likely to hand-hold. It does focus more slowly than your typical lens, as is the case with macro lenses in general.

Randy

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 13-Dec-10 04:19 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D50 Macro Photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

All lenses have a minimum focus distance. If you need to get closer then you need to either modify the way the lens works or get a different lens.

Form poor quality to best:

Close up lens attachment, Canon Close Up Lenses
Extension tubes, Nikon & Kenko Extension Tubes
Dedicated close up lens
Bellows and lens reversing adapters.

Micro, Macro & Close-up Photography Nikonian Guides.

You can also look at the Micro, Macro, Close Up forum

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43379 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.