nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43305
View in linear mode

Subject: "Just how bad is it?" Previous topic | Next topic
chewie Registered since 17th Jan 2008Thu 04-Nov-10 02:28 PM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Just how bad is it?"

Petaling Jaya, MY

Okay. I'm having some sort of a problem with my D40 lately. After 29,000 shots (give or take a few hundred), my shutter button is getting harder and harder to press and sometimes when I do press hard enough, it takes two consecutive shots (I shoot in Single Shot mode but it behaved like a Continuous Shooting). The consecutive shooting is rare but it's just getting harder and harder to press. So my question is... does it mean that my shutter mechanism is coming to an end of its life or it's something else.

~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~

I've learned that I have alot more to learn...

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Just how bad is it?
elec164 Silver Member
04th Nov 2010
CharlieS
04th Nov 2010
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
04th Nov 2010
chewie
05th Nov 2010
Len Shepherd Gold Member
04th Nov 2010
chewie
24th Dec 2010
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
24th Dec 2010

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 04-Nov-10 04:18 PM
2162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Just how bad is it?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I would think it is an issue with the shutter button itself and not the shutter. Either something is going amiss with the button mechanism or the switch the button activates.

At least that is my thoughts.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

CharlieS Registered since 29th Aug 2007Thu 04-Nov-10 05:34 PM
1729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Just how bad is it?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

As stated, it sounds like a button or switch issue. I'm thinking a bit of contamination, lint, dust/dirt, or the like has migrated around the edges causing some restriction of free movement.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 04-Nov-10 07:28 PM
27046 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Just how bad is it?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Brian,

Does the shutter release button feel normal when you press it half way to activate the meter and AF?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

chewie Registered since 17th Jan 2008Fri 05-Nov-10 01:34 AM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Just how bad is it?"
In response to Reply # 3

Petaling Jaya, MY

Yeah. Actually it does. It does feel normal when I pressed it halfway to activate the meter and AF. As for the other suggestions on cleaning it, I will try that out first. Thanks for the quick reply.

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Thu 04-Nov-10 07:30 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Just how bad is it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, UK

I am not familiar with the D40 but perhaps the shutter selector has got dislodged to half way between single and continuous shooting.
If you turn the body upside down, gently tap the base and use a soft brush to get under the shutter release button you might get lucky and dislodge any debris.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

chewie Registered since 17th Jan 2008Fri 24-Dec-10 02:29 AM
#6. "RE: Just how bad is it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Petaling Jaya, MY

Update on my camera.

I couldn't take it anymore, the shutter release button was giving me problems so much that I just had to send it in to Nikon. Two days later, Nikon calls me up and told me that they need to replace the "Release Switch FPC" (whatever that is), and total cost would be 60 USD. I said, "Fine, go ahead".

Next day, I got another call to ask me to pick it up.

Fantastic.

When I got there, I was told that they replaced the switch, upgraded my firmware (mine was 1.11) and cleaned my sensor. I'm happy again.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 24-Dec-10 05:06 AM
27046 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Just how bad is it?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Brian,

Glad Nikon got you up and running again.
Thanks for the follow up.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43305 Previous topic | Next topic