Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43303
View in linear mode

Subject: "GPS Capability with D60" Previous topic | Next topic
dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Wed 03-Nov-10 05:33 PM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"GPS Capability with D60"

San Francisco, US

I'm a Nikonian trying to do a favor for a friend at work. He is involved in a large field effort on a lake and using his own D60 to document the work. I know some DSLRs have GPS capability to record the GPS coordinates whenever a picture is taken. Could this be added to the D60? If so what gadget do you need and approximately how much does it cost?

TIA for any help

dgs

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: GPS Capability with D60
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
03rd Nov 2010
ashaniya
18th Nov 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
18th Nov 2010
natashachen
24th Mar 2011
RichardNDL Silver Member
24th Mar 2011

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Wed 03-Nov-10 07:33 PM
2038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: GPS Capability with D60"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 03-Nov-10 07:37 PM by Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US

I don't think the D60 has this capability. Another option is to create a tracklog using a capable GPS, import it into the PC and then merge the two. I use a Garmin eTrek Venture HC, EasyGPS, Lightroom and Jeffrey Friedl's GPS plugin.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

ashaniya Registered since 16th Nov 2010Thu 18-Nov-10 12:18 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: GPS Capability with D60"
In response to Reply # 1

CN

Right, no that function. You can do it as Bob said or change a new camera, e.g. newly D5000, D300s and then add a GPS devoice. Like Easytagger Bluetooth GPS.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 18-Nov-10 01:54 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: GPS Capability with D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

As noted, the D60 does not support direct geotagging as other more advanced models do. Even if you geotag directly, one should also record the track as the track contains additional information that the camera does not directly encode but one may want to encode into the image. Newer camera models have added GPS data not recored ed by some of the older models. Also some mapping programs will also show the track along with the image points.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

natashachen Registered since 24th Mar 2011Thu 24-Mar-11 05:57 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: GPS Capability with D60"
In response to Reply # 0

CN

>Could this be added to the D60? If so what gadget do
>you need and approximately how much does it cost?

D60 has no GPS function, the GPS information can not be added to photos directly when shooting. This problem can be solved by third-part software like Locr, geosetter etc, they can match photos with GPS. What you need is a GPS unit that records GPS datas.

Nikon has GP-1, but I would not recommend here. It can not store GPS datas. Solmeta geotagger is a good choice, as it equipped with 8M memory card, the price is about $250.00. If your friend upgrade his cameras like D90, the geotagger Pro will write GPS info to pictures directly.

RichardNDL Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Thu 24-Mar-11 02:40 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: GPS Capability with D60"
In response to Reply # 0

woodland, US

Another, much less expensive, option is an Eye-Fi card. This is a SD card with geotagging built into it. It works, but there are two problems with it. 1) It's slower than the newer SD cards. You will have to wait for pictures to save. 2) It doesn't work off of GPS, but off of an extensive data base of wi-fi connections. So if this lake is not near existing wi-fi connections, eye-fi won't help. In an urban area, it's fine.

The card has other benefits, if you want to take advantage of them, like automatically transfering the pictures to a laptop via wi-fi.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43303 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.