Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #4317
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which lens is the better purchase" Previous topic | Next topic
RottyM Registered since 22nd Feb 2006Mon 27-Feb-06 07:18 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which lens is the better purchase"

Herndon, US

28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF Zoom-Nikkor or 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor. I purchased the 28-200 because it was my favorite lens before my N90 got stolen.... I have 10 days to return this lens if Im not satisfied but I know I wont be able to use it much.. and so can someone post some pics and experiences? your thoughts? thank you in advance.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which lens is the better purchase
jasoninak
27th Feb 2006
avm247 Moderator
27th Feb 2006
RottyM
27th Feb 2006
James23p Moderator
16th Jan 2008
edmun
28th Feb 2006

jasoninak Registered since 24th Jan 2006Mon 27-Feb-06 07:36 PM
453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Which lens is the better purchase"
In response to Reply # 0

Dale City, US

I don't own either lens, nor have used either one, so take this for what it's worth!

From all the opinions and reviews I've read, the 55-200 is "okay", and focuses slowly considering its (supposedly wrongly given) AF-S designation. Everyone seems to think the 28-200 is a gem of a lens. Personally, I'd stick with what you have, but that's just my inexperienced opinion!

Jason in Virginia
Flickr

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberMon 27-Feb-06 07:44 PM
18317 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which lens is the better purchase"
In response to Reply # 1

Rancho Cordova, US

Rotty,

Welcome to Nikonians! Have you checked out the Nikkor Forum?

There is a review on the 28-200G lens here in our Resources. This test was done using a D100.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery

www.nikonians.org - Worldwide Home for Nikon Photographers
Visit us at PMA (www.pmai.org) Orlando, February 26th through March 1st 2006, booth 1759

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

RottyM Registered since 22nd Feb 2006Mon 27-Feb-06 08:00 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which lens is the better purchase"
In response to Reply # 2

Herndon, US

oh yeah! I've checked out the review and it sounds great.. just wanted to get some opinions, maybe someone could give me a good comparison on both lenses. Seems like 55-200 DX doesn't have much going for it except for it's AF-S which is already a questionable feature.

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 16-Jan-08 01:16 PM
9460 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which lens is the better purchase"
In response to Reply # 3

Memphis, US

Rotty here are two pictures I took with the 55-200 indoors with my SB-600. I like the 28-200 its a great lens but the 55-200 is pretty good for the money, I get nice shots and the AF-S is not as fast as full ring version but still faster than screw driven lens.

Shot one: Hand held, 200mm focal length, shutter a slow 125(done on purpose), f5.6(wide open at 200), ISO 200, SB-600(non bounce), camera setting vivid and cropped by about 40%. All in all not bad for the settings.

Shot two: Hand held, 200mm focal lenght, shutter 250, f5.6(wide open again), ISO 200, SB-600(bounce), camera setting vivid and cropped around 35-40%.

All in all these are not optimal settings yet I think the 55-200 did okay. I wanted to shoot outside but its kind windy I was having trouble hand holding and not getting camera shake. Plus these are greatly reduced from the full jpeg and with some post processing may even be better. I need to buy Capture so I can shoot more in Raw.

Just food for thought. Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 28-Feb-06 01:14 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which lens is the better purchase"
In response to Reply # 5

eugene, US

If I had to make that choice. I would keep the 28-200.

Neither lens is fast focusing but the range of the 28-200 means less lens changing and there fore less dust.

However I would go try 55-200 before making a final choice.

I have the lens but it is not one of my favorites. It is sharp but focus is slow.

ledmun

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #4317 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.