Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43149
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wide Angle Lens" Previous topic | Next topic
m3rvt Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2009Mon 27-Sep-10 05:49 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wide Angle Lens"

US

I have a D60 and I am thinking about getting a wide angle lens. I am not sure where to start and need some help. I am willing to spend up to $600, but would prefer under $400. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance! MM

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Wide Angle Lens
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
27th Sep 2010
m3rvt Silver Member
27th Sep 2010
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
27th Sep 2010
Floridian Silver Member
27th Sep 2010
musical Silver Member
29th Sep 2010
Bart B
30th Sep 2010
musical Silver Member
01st Oct 2010
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
01st Oct 2010
Bart B
01st Oct 2010
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
01st Oct 2010
DinoCardelli
27th Oct 2010
chrisnation
28th Oct 2010
Bluewaterhooker0
08th Nov 2010
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
08th Nov 2010

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 27-Sep-10 07:03 PM
10844 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Plenty of choices - mostly DX. Are you looking for wide or ultra-wide? I see you already have an 18-55. So do you need something to replace it or something wider?

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

m3rvt Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2009Mon 27-Sep-10 07:06 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I'm looking for something wider.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 27-Sep-10 09:19 PM
10844 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 2

US

We'll stick to rectilinear (non-fisheye) options for the moment.

Nikon doesn't really have anything in your price bracket that will get you significantly wider than the 18mm. You could go with the 16mm, but honestly you're paying a premium for that extra 2mm. It would replace your 18-55, not supplement it.

Sigma has the 10-20 in two versions, a slower f4-f5.6 and a faster f3.5 constant (more $ - barely within your upper price bracket).

Tamron has a 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 Di.

Tokina an 11-16mm f2.8 that barely squeaks under your price bracket, and a 12-24mm f4, both digital only.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Mon 27-Sep-10 08:24 PM
2754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

The value leader in this category is the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, which sells for under $500. I have one and recommend it. I've seen lots of positive comments on the lens, and don't remember many (if any) negative ones.

Randy

musical Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2010Wed 29-Sep-10 01:23 AM
1047 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 3

north-central, US

I have the tokina 11-16. BE careful! I like the tokina, or maybe love it a bit but, BUT, it has no focus drive motor inside it. Since the camera needs the lens to have a motor in it, (and some lenses do) this lens will not operate as designed until such time as I buy a more expensive body. At first this caused huge stress to me, but now I'm ok and it operates if I manually focus it.
I do love wide photography and if I can help concerning this lens or if you want a sample picture, just ask. I read the list; any question about the tokina, simply ask here. I would reply.
That's my lens, as I held and photographed it with the kit 18-55 lens.

"Shadows are the soul of the picture."rick sammon

Photographs are of what the heart sees.
Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Bart B Registered since 06th Mar 2007Thu 30-Sep-10 12:12 PM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Loveland, CO, US

A standard lens for the D60 is a 34mm one. That will give the same angle of view as a 50mm lens on a 35mm film or FX format digital Nikon camera. Your 18-55 set to 18mm has the equivalent focal length of a 27mm lens on a 35mm or FX camera. So it's already a wide angle lens at that setting.

Check Craig's List in your area for a Sigma, Tamron or Tokina lens in the 10 to 15mm range for one with a shorter focal length than 18mm in the price range you want. You may find a real bargain out there. Sometimes Nikon has refurbished lenses for sale on Adorama and other decent on-line stores priced considerably below a new lens list price.

Most all of my lenses were bought used and they perform the same as new. A used Nikon 18-70mm for my D40 cost $30 from a Craig's List sale. Besides, everything all of us own is used.

Bart

DSLR's: D40, D700
FSLR's: FG, N80, F100
DX Lenses: Nikkor 18-55 VR, 18-70, 55-200 VR
FX Lenses: Nikkor 18-35, 24-85, 28-80, 28-200, two 50's, 70-300 VR;
Series E 28, 100 & 135.

USN, Retired
Hewlett-Packard, Retired

musical Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2010Fri 01-Oct-10 02:54 PM
1047 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 6

north-central, US

Dear sir, See where you have listed equipment that you own. I enjoyed seeing that list. Thank you. I do understand that the dx format is to the d40 and the fx more to the d700. Where you have listed 24-85 & 28-80. Do you just happen to own both or is one used differently than the other? Also, is either one what you would consider a portrait lens? Or similarly, what is your "portrait lens?"

"Shadows are the soul of the picture."rick sammon

Photographs are of what the heart sees.

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Fri 01-Oct-10 05:44 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 7

Livermore, CA, US

James - we encourage members to list their equipment in their user profile, which you can view by clicking the little face icon in the row of icons in the upper right corner of every post.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Bart B Registered since 06th Mar 2007Fri 01-Oct-10 09:19 PM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri 01-Oct-10 10:55 PM by Bart B

Loveland, CO, US

>Dear sir, See where you have listed equipment that you own. I
>enjoyed seeing that list. Thank you. I do understand that the
>dx format is to the d40 and the fx more to the d700. Where you
>have listed 24-85 & 28-80. Do you just happen to own both
>or is one used differently than the other?

I use the 24-85 along with my 70-300 and 50 1.8 AFD lenses on most travels around the world with my D700. These three comprise my "Travel Trio" that covers virtually any situation. The two zooms are for most stuff and the 50 is for really dim light conditions as well as one of the best available (has very low distortion) taking several pictures to be stitched together for panoramic photos. When traveling ultra light my D40 is used with the 18-55 and 55-200 plus my Son's DX 35mm f/1.8.

The 28-80 AF G is my "foul weather" lens; the old all-plastic one I found for $15 on Craig's List. Sharp enough for general use when it's raining pretty hard and I "have" to get a picture of something. If water gets in it rendering it usless, it's no significant loss. The camera has a waterproof OP/TECH Rainsleeve on it that's snugged up around the lens barrel. Worked well when at Niagra Falls on a cruise boat close to and below them when the air was full of water droplets.

>Also, is either one what you would consider a portrait lens?
>Or similarly, what is your "portrait lens?"

To me, a portrait lens (i.e., someone's head & shoulders filling 80% of the vertical frame) is one long enough to not distort facial and upper body features (sucking the subject's nose towards the camera and pushing their far shoulder too far back) and a fast enough lens (low f/stop wide open) to nicely blur background and foreground stuff in the picture. For DX cameras, that means to me at least an 80mm lens at f/2.8 or faster. FX/35mm need at least 120mm lenses and the same lens speed.

My favorite portrait lens for the D40 is my Series E 100mm f/2.8. For the D700, it's my Series E 135mm f/2.8. Both are plenty sharp and defocus rather well anything behind and in front of the subject.

Bart

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Fri 01-Oct-10 05:41 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

I agree with Randy, the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 is the lens you want. Very sharp, very wide, and it will AF on your D60. I shot one of these for years until I moved to the Nikon 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 about a year ago. Nothing bad to say about the Sigma, but I was attracted to the wider zoom range and slightly faster aperture of the Nikkor. On a budget, I'm still 100% for the Sigma.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010Wed 27-Oct-10 12:27 PM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed 27-Oct-10 12:28 PM by DinoCardelli

Plantation, US

I spent some time researching...I bought the Tokina 12-24 for my D60 and it's become my favorite lens for taking my fishing pictures.....

It's been highly rated by many.....

Great value...

Picked it up on Adorma.com

dc

chrisnation Registered since 28th Oct 2010Thu 28-Oct-10 05:51 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

UK

I have the Sigma 10-20mm. My budget would not stretch to the Nik 10-24. The Sigma is a geat lens for DX shooters and a very affordable one. Perfectly good ones can be picked up for a lot less than the new price. Check the usual auction sites, be patient and you'll snap one up at 50% off new. You'll need some of the saving to get a good quality UV or skylight filter and a polarising filter. At 77mm, these - esp the poly - do not come cheap for good quality but you must go for this to retain the capabilities of your lens and camera.

Bluewaterhooker0 Registered since 31st Jan 2009Mon 08-Nov-10 04:16 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa, US

Just an addition to the Sigma 10-20mm suggestions. I have one and love it. However, I believe there is an older and newer version. You will need the one with the HSM internal focus motor for a D60. I'm not sure older ones came that way. Just a suggestion.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 08-Nov-10 03:07 PM
29255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 13

Paignton, UK

There are two distinct 10-20mm lenses from Sigma.

First came the 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC - which is still available - and at a later date the wider-aperture 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC was added to the range. Both of them have always had the HSM focus motor

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43149 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.